HybridZ

will 1980 drivers glass fit into 74 260z?

I'm a new "Z" owner and I need a driver's door glass. I did some searching on classified and in several sections but did not see an exchange post or thread about it.

I found a 1980 280zx glass on ebay. Will it fit into my 74 260z?

I love the site and can't wait to post on classified.

I am the proud owner of a 74 260z. No engine or trans. My plans are based on $$. First plan is sbc, 700r4, Z rear end(already has 373 gears), paint job, roll bar, rewire.

If $$ comes through, I'll sbc, 3 or 4 speed manual trans, narrowed 9" ford rear end on 4 link with tubbed rear body, paint, roll cage, rewire.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Tom

its not that hard. You need to remove the door interior, then you have to remove most of the window regulator hardware and then remove the window through the same hole that the window closes and opens. Then you can unmount the window from the mount.

The bolts that can be loosened that holds the window in are facing on the outter side of the door.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that if I switch the hardware from my glass that the 280zx glass, the 280 glass can be used?

No, he's not saying that. He has 280Z glass, not 280ZX glass---the two are completely different. The assumption is that if you unbolt the hardware from your 260Z window, you should be able to mount it to the 280Z glass and make it work. However, after seeing some major differences in the 280Z doors vs 260Z (early edition) doors, I'm not 100% sure. You'd better get some more buy in from others first or start searching the web for part numbers and see if they'll interchange.

Davy

No, he's not saying that. He has 280Z glass, not 280ZX glass---the two are completely different. The assumption is that if you unbolt the hardware from your 260Z window, you should be able to mount it to the 280Z glass and make it work. However, after seeing some major differences in the 280Z doors vs 260Z (early edition) doors, I'm not 100% sure. You'd better get some more buy in from others first or start searching the web for part numbers and see if they'll interchange.

Davy

That is correct in what I was saying. The "door style" changed IIRC in mid production span of the 260z and the 280z. So I believe the 260z had 2 door designs, same with the 280z. What type of door striker do you have? The mounting plate design or the striker rod design? I believe the late model 260z and the early 280z shared the same design (Don't quot me on that).

Both of my 280z have different door designs. Glass is interchangable between them, everything else can't.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0019.html

• Administrators

Hang on fella’s. There are a lot of "maybes" and "I thinks" being posted which is only adding confusion to confusion. For clarity sakes lets only post absolute definites and if possible, show pics if able. I do have complete running and parts cars including an early ’70, ’73, ’74-1/2 ’75, ’76, ’77, ’78, ’82, ’85, I just don’t have the time right now to go out and strip the doors and take pics, sorry. …

Lets start over as to what will and what wont fit a 260 in regards to door internals such as glass and window regulators.

Pretty much the only items from a 280 ZX that can transplant in “bolt in” fashion to the early Z cars, i.e. ’70-’78 240-280Z, is the engine, transmission and differential. The body and all associated components of the body on the 280ZX is for all intensive purposes a completely different car than the earlier 240, 260 and 280Z, including the suspension.

Now as for the early cars, the ’77 and ’78 280 Z have totally different doors internally. The regulators, door locks, and even the door panels are particular to the ’77 and ’78 cars and are not interchangeable amongst any other Z cars. Even the door itself wont interchange as the striker is completely different. As for “just” the glass alone, I’m not 100% sure the ’77 and ’78 glass will bolt into the ’70-’76 glass track.

2+2 and Coupe door parts wont interchange either.

Hope that helps.

Pretty much what I was saying :D. The glass I got was from a 76. The previous owner (I assumed) had an accident (78 car) and replaced the door from a 76. Didn't quite close completely. So I bought another door off of ebay and threw it on there. So I have a whole door (glass and all, not good condition, the door that is.

Oh I said I was going to post pics of the glass, before. I need to go do that :D

I will confirm, the change in the door glass carrier mechanisim for US Spec Vehicles was 7/76. up to 6/76 you can change it around. But when that striker went internal, the carrier and glass shapes changed on the bottom.

Now if you have access to Fairlady Z's... they have the same carriers and glass 69 to 77. Why oh why...They got skinny bumpers till the end on 72 style brackets as well. Lucky Bastiges!

I got six 260Z doors. I should probably sell some of this stuff some time, huh? But I'm in SoCal, and your in "shudder" Toledo...