HybridZ

Intake Decisions...Lonewolf vs Thagard vs ???

Guest 280ZForce

Which custom intake manifold do I go with?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which custom intake manifold do I go with?

• Lonewolf Performance
    • James Thagard
    • Other (please specify)

Guest 280ZForce
The question I really have to ask you is, what kinfd of work have you done to the head? Do you have any flow numbers?
But if you don't have port work done like Spork says.... if it's not done to support AT LEAST that "X-30cfm" that JeffP found when testing the stock extrude-honed manifold' date=' chances are a different one will not benefit you all that much.

It's true! The power in the L-Engine is all in the head. Get someone who knows what they are doing and you will be amazed what you can get without massive pressure ratios on your turbo![/quote']

I know I have port and polish work done to the head...what exactly is a mystery to me. I traded for the longblock setup as is, I just added the manifolds, turbo, fuel stuff and everything to it.

I believe the head work was done by Top End Performance and it has 1 of there cams in it as well.

I believe the cam specs to be:

.480 lift, 278 intake, 282 exhaust, 109 lobe center

Pretty soon here I think w/in the next couple weeks I'm gonna tear it all down and see exactly I have done to it.

But how/what do I measure or do to tell the differences from stock on the head?

Any help would be appreciated as I've never torn an engine down or built 1 up before, I've just swapped them before. I've asked a few friends on here to help me when I do it cuz they know what they are talking about, but Tony, maybe if you are not out traveling the world as usual you could stop by and teach me some things so I don't mess anything up. I have the manuals and the how to rebuild books and all, but having the knowledge there is a lot easier in a step by step than trying to understand a book if you follow me.

thanks for your guys opinions and help in helping me get to where I want to be.

Ivo was telling me that Rick Bowers had the Thagard intake on his 3,1L stroker (not sure if n/a or turbo), but just by replacing the intake his AFRs leaned out by .7, so I was told there is definitely room for potential in that unit.

This is true - I produced datalogs comparing a ported (60mm TB with welded/enlarged TB inlet + runners matched to head port sizes and enlarged/smoothed to about 4" in) to Thagard's intake with no tuning changes - We did see a .7 leaner AFR at higher revs - over 4500 or so. This is with a well- ported head and a 290/280 duration, 480 lift, 112 lc cam. That can translate to a big horspower increase.

Dr. James posted the charts here way back when he was trying to sell manifolds. He finally stopped producing them when people began to question the cost, and will probably verbally abuse you if you ask if he will make more.

Absolutely heed the advise above to first have a head that will be able to utilize the improved flow of an aftermarket manifold. Some of the TopEnd Performance head work was quite good.

Guest 280ZForce
This is true - I produced datalogs comparing a ported (60mm TB with welded/enlarged TB inlet + runners matched to head port sizes and enlarged/smoothed to about 4" in) to Thagard's intake with no tuning changes - We did see a .7 leaner AFR at higher revs - over 4500 or so. This is with a well- ported head and a 290/280 duration' date=' 480 lift, 112 duration cam. That can translate to a big horspower increase.

Absolutely heed the advise above to first have a head that will be able to utilize the improved flow of an aftermarket manifold. Some of the TopEnd Performance head work was quite good.[/quote']

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I believe the head is a Top End Performance 1, I'm gonna check on it soon. I know it has ported work done to it, just dont know what yet.

I bought a lonewolf intake from cleton-z on here and have spoken to James (spork) on the phone for about 30 min about the specs on it and what I had planned for it and his take on what I should do. He has given me the thumbs up and is very interested in how it's gonna turn out.

The intake I bought was built a lil different than the ones he normally sells...I believe he mentioned a lil longer runners and also larger runner diameters (he believed around 1.75"). So if the head isn't ported to match that big, then it will be done.

James mentioned this is the biggest runnered intake he has built so far and that is has huge potential, he built it for cleton-z with room to grow up to 800 hp or so.

I'm getting the flange for the tb cut off first and foremost and I'm gonna have the neck extended slightly (prolly like 3-4") and will be angling the tb for better clearance in the engine bay for the charge pipe and direct flow of air to eliminate curves. the tb of choice I've decided to guinea pig for is the q45 90mm unit that I'm gonna mate to it.

I'll definitely be in the market for large injectors after these upgrades I'm sure.

Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have had Andre build me an intake for my high hp application and the intake manifold was wonderful. He did everything I asked and more. He even brough it with him from KS to ohio where there was a car show so I could come pick it up and meet him. very nice guy and very high quality piece.

Disclamier: I have not used or seen their nissan/datsun intakes. I am going on the fact that they built my intake for my high hp neon a year and a half ago. It was keeping up with my gt3076 very nice. Great company and piece.

DSCN1566.jpg