HybridZ

Tail light wiring, Where to start?

Forces

I am trying to fix the wiring in my 76 280Z. These are the things that don't work....

Running lights.

Blinkers. (front and rear)

Brake lights.

There are four bulbs on each side of the car (rear lights).

1. Reverse Light - just got 'em working, but didn't use stock wiring.

2. Single Filement Bulb w/ Green/White power conection.... running light?

3. Single Filement Bulb w/ Green/ Black power conection.... no idea?

4. Dual Filement Bulb w/ Green/White conection and Green Yellow connection....Brake/ Park/ Turn signal?

The lights have never worked since I have owned the car, so I don't know what lights have what function.

The wire coming from the brake switch is a Black/ Yellow. There are 2 black yellow wires coming from the fuse box (one on each side of the fuse) that my Haynes manual claims is a fuse to "FLOORTEMP"- What is that?

Any suggestions on where to start to get these working?

Well, the Haynes book was wrong about the fuse box. The fuse location was supposed to be labeled 'Stop'. I traced all the wires back and found out their function, but I am still nowhere near knowing why they don't work. I have a Multimeter and test light, But wiring is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Any suggestions would be great.

***EDIT***

Brake lights work, running lights work. I had replaced the fusable links with inline blade fuses and blew one out. I didn't know that those thick White/Red wires were a 12v source to the fuse box.... still no turn signals though. This is the part where I get confused. When I turn the head lights on, the left turn indicator in the dash comes on, and stays on, regardless of the position of the switch. I can hear the flasher turning on and off about once every 10 seconds. None of the actual turn signals are working...So I am thining it's a bad switch and/ or a bad flasher.

Have you solved your signal light problem? If not I see why you have problem because your other post "Can't find my flasher switch" lol. Yeah without the flasher switch connected the blinker won't work. I am in the middle of wiring the Z wirings into the C5 cluster and just studied how this whole thing work, brake light, running light and signal and flasher. If you still have problem PM me.

V.

• 3 months later...