HybridZ

Grand National 200-4R BRF Transmission (Stock) Handle 450HP/450 Torque??

Guest Mike

Yes, I searched. I found a few threads but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I found a GN 2004R (200R4?) transmission with a fresh stock rebuild. This one has the BRF code. Will it stand up to a 350 SBC with 450HP/450 torque at the flywheel? This is a daily driver and I have a lead foot:grin:

It's listed for $1K but I can probably get if for $800 or so.

Hmm... That's what I was afraid of. For the $2K (plus shipping) I would have invested in this one, I would be better off ordering one built to spec.

Thanks Warren!!

Mike,

A BRF trans is simply a regular 200-4R with a performance calibrated valve body, governor, and servo.

For anuything voer 400 Hp you're going to use a different servo.

The valve body is worth about $300-400 by itself.

If you buy a BRF core be SURE you are getting the BRF valve body, otherwise you're dealing with a $75 transmission core. Nothing special. 200-4Rs are dime a dozen here for cores.

There are pictures online of a BRF valve body.

If you need one I have one if you decide to build a 200-4R.

Chris at CKPerformance is one of the best 200-4R guys in the country. I deal with him on an almost weekly basis for speicalty transmission parts.

I build the 200-4R's for performance usage and you can easily get into one $2K without a converter.

I've gotten into building more and more of the 4L80E's for the heavy hitting cars that need an OD.

I can do them with a full manual VB or electronic control. I have 3 in the shop now.

In my experience the 200-4R is relatively safe to the 550-600 HP/TQ level when built properly an using the billet forward drum. You could go to about 750 using a billet input shaft and OD carrier but there is a point of diminishing returns.

WARREN... Thanks for the info. I'll check out the the link in your post.

DOC... I had to buy a new heating+A/C unit for the house at the cost of $3K+. The seller of the Quadzilla offered to wait 30 days for my payment. I contacted him to finish the deal in LESS than a month only for him to tell me he said sold it without even contacting me. The bum!!

JAKESHOE... I think I'll hold out for another 4L80 or 4L80E.

Thanks EVERYONE!!

Howdy Jake,

I might buy that 4L80E core from you. What does it need... a complete rebuild? Where in TX are you? I'm in converse... in the NE San Antonio area.

I dropped the "E" from the transmission model because I expect to do without the ECU and go full manual shift... to save $$$ (no more "E").

PM me with a price when you get the chance.

It was supposedly a working trans when pulled but I don't know the history of it so I would rebuild it.

Do you need it with a mechanical speedo or do you want to run a converter box that converts the electronioc signal to cable drive? It's $500 for the mechanical speedo setup, or ~$300 for the converter box, or you can run an electric speedo...

I plopped a fresh 200r4 GN tranny behind a 403 Olds motor, small cam, 2200 stall with 3:73 gears in a 82 Cutlass. I made 9 passes in the 1/8 mile. Drove it to work all week. Decided to do a parking lot burn out and lost a front pump... ate itself alive..

Just like an old powerglide, you have to have the aftermarket goodies inside.....