HybridZ

Ford 300 swap

rztmartini

has anyone looked into swapping a ford I6? the 300 ci (4.9L) that came in many trucks (and mustangs) is really cheap, and there is a guy who did a decent turbo setup and is making well over 500 lb.-ft. of torque and 300 hp to the wheels with 18psi...not much of a revver tho...any thoughts?

heavy heavy heavy. and not much aftermarket. kind of like the jeep I6. great for trucks, bad for sports-cars. oh, and Im pretty sure the 300 never came in 'stangs. only the 280CI and 170CI I6s ever made thoer ways into a mustang.

• 2 weeks later...

they are also very tall compared to the i6 motor. i have one in a truck, with auto, just a torque pig. 4 speed tranny isnt much better. you can get headers, and deck them to raise comp ratio, and change the intake and carb, but that is all youd want to do. no revs, 5500 at the absoute most.

• 3 weeks later...

300-6 uses the SBF bellhousing and flywheel (although it is internally balanced so you need a balanced flywheel).

They can be made to rev, but it's pricey.

Also, heavy, but probably lighter than the SBF/SBC engines.

Tall, low revver and long.

Look at the 200/250 inlines from Ford. Can also be made to rev, and are light and not a lot bigger than the 2.8 with larger displacement. 250 uses SBF bellhousing.

Of course, US versions with poor-flowing 1bbl intake cast into the head are...less good. To put it mildly.

Ben