HybridZ

Header or no header?

76Datsun280z

Hey guys, this is my first post.

I have the opportunity to trade some wheels to a friend of mine in exchange for a used header. Before I do this, I would like to get your opinions on this first. My car is a stock 1976 280z with the stock l28 efi motor. Do you guys recommend putting headers on a stock motor like this? What should I be looking for in a used header? Right now it has a turbo muffler on it, how much more noise/power will I be getting out of it?

Here is a link to the picture of it, he just sent me this one for now, but I'm going to ask him for some more detailed photos of it. Thanks guys.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/5204/img3245wd4.jpg

Keep in mind the header swap is a pain in the neck, you have to remove the intake. NOT FUN. You'll also need a new gasket that's meant for use with a header and it wouldn't hurt to get a new set of bolts/studs $20.00 from MSA.I put one on mine, not much louder ,small seat of the pants difference. Good luck!

Thank you for the info, the header is not ceramic coated so I'd have to get that done. What kind of things should I look for if if and when I go and view it in person? I know that the fladg needs to be flat and won't work right if not, so is there any way in particular to look to see if it is? Thanks for any additional tips and advice on what to look for.

you can check the header with a straight edge, just make sure the device being used is straight. ceramic coating isnt needed in every application, they make some wicked paint now that works fine, even under hot conditions. the ceramic will help under hood temperatures, and look nice for longer.

Well it turns out that it is a different type of header. I went and looked at it today and learned that it is a race header. If you click on the link, it is identical to it. He is charging $60 for it. Here is the link, any advice is appreciated, thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/datsun-240z-header-nice-shape_W0QQitemZ150087066154QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like guys are saying....its a PITA to put them on, you increase the sound level, and no HP gain (on a stock set-up). From the looks of the headers you are looking at, you are not likely to save your self much $$$....why, because those headers are pretty rusty and will need to be sandblasted an recoated...there goes the money you thought you'd save. If you really want headers, just purchase new ones....and if you have the additional cash, get the ceramic coating. Just my 2 cents!

Tom