HybridZ

Radiator position question , which is better

gretchen/jason

Well i was thinking and wondering would it be better to get a sealed radiator , what i mean is it has no cap and mount it on a angle between the grill and radiator support .

I was thinking then there would be more room between the rad and the engine itself and possiable make it easiser to vent heat away from the rad as oposed to being in the stock position .

Kind of mount it where a intercooler would mount . Maybe it would get more direct air flow at speed . has anyone tried this mod .

Jason

I think it works like this; Tilting the top of the rad forwards will increase flow at higher speed, but cause a slight deacrese in cooling ability at low speeds (stop and go, ect).. In my experiance it also exposes more 'surface area' of the rad to flying rocks, debris, ect that you find in evryday street driving.. and you'll need a fill cap somewhere in the top rad hose to properly fill the system, otherwise it might air lock.. Yes, I have blown up a rad or two..:cry:

Yes id have to address the " rock" issue some sort of grill or something as ive seen intercoolers that have no " shield " not so good looking . .

Just looking for opinions at the moment . I do have 2 rads i may atempt something just looking for feed back . Thanks for the input .

You blew up a rad !!! i didnt think it was possiable but i see strange things everyday as a mechanic .

Jason

It seems important to do everything possible to force air through the radiator, its location should maximumise that. This involves sealing around it so the air cannot bypass it, and, facilitating air exit flow behind the radiator.

You blew up a rad !!! i didnt think it was possiable but i see strange things everyday as a mechanic .

Jason

Heh heh.. yup! It was in my 85 rx7 V8 swap. I got this aluminum rad frm a J/Y that had plastic endcaps on it, and I didn't realize at the time (this was about 7 years ago now..) but if your rad filler is lower then the water neck on the engine, well.. you end up with air in the system right? So I got the thing fired up and was messing with the timing, and my buddy is leaning over from the drivers side, I'm in the car reving it too keep it running, ect. No warning, just a sudden fssss... BOOM!!! Spray of coolant everywhere (lucky for my buddy it only got him in the side, so it just soaked his shirt/pants, not his face) It literaly blew the side tank off the rad core about 1/2" on one side. Just one of the weird things that's happened to me playing with cars... :lol: