HybridZ

befor it goes to machine shop 3.1 info - n42 f54? head cam?

24ounce

well i normally hang out over at zcar.com but i figured befor i do the real motor i should stop over here and get the real info first

i have the crank some reg ka24 pistions and a set of 9mm l24 rods

block? - i have an n42 laying around and some ppl say n42 is fine and others say must use F54 - well what is it? ive got the n42 sitting here bur i can go yank an f54 if needed?

now i have gone over this at zcar but i just want to make sure im not missing anything - what exactly do i want to have the machine shop do? and i am sure i have most of them but post any site that has 3.1 build tips and instructions and what now so i can re go over everythign one last time

the head and cam i am still unsure of any recomendations

as for what i do have - 240mm clutch surface 10.5lb flywheel, triple dellorto 40s, unsprung 6 puck stage 3 clutch kit

its going in a 70 which i have an early zx5spd in and a 3.54 r200 out back which i will swap over to a 3.70 lsd later on

what do you recomend for ignition?

i would like to autocross the car some - it will be draged and the main reason for the build is to take it out and see if i can smash on some mustangs and cameros and maybe an older vett if im lucky with an old strait 6 and just have all around fun with a low tq motor for burnouts and swining - day to day drivablility is no issue nor is gas milage - i also plan on adding a direct port no2 system after i get everything else all squared away

i plan on taking the short block in next week of the week after if i need to get an F54

any info you can give me i will be happy to take

I made over 500rwh with a N42 block with a small T4 turbo and a large shot of N20.The N42 block will work fine and the N42 head works well when ported.The cam you run would depend on what kind of induction ,EFI? Tripples?SU`s?.I ran mid 12`s on a 3 liter with a 120hp shot of N20 with a

N33 head and an all JY parts bottom end.The cam I used was a WEB 490/290 and it sounded great when the car was on the bottle.I used an MSD Digital 6 and went though 3 of them during the time I was running a distibutor.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=5&prt=130&action=partSpec&partNumber=6000-6466

I have a couple of friends using the Crane Ignitions with good results.

Make sure you have the block sonic tested to verify that there is enough meat to do the 89mm bore safely. When I built mine years ago, my first block cracked in the #6 cylinder wall into the water jacket. I had 3 other blocks tested before I found one that could handle the overbore. These 25+ year old iron blocks rust in the water passages, as they haven't been taken care of.

Good luck with your build,

mike

sweet ill use the n42 block

and ill probbaly go with some sort of crane ignition because i have heard people having to replace there msd junk alot

anything specuial i should have done with the crank or rods? besides balance?

whats this knife edge i hear about?