HybridZ

CAD Models...

hughdogz

Hey... why don't one of you guys go a stress analysis on cross bars? There's a heated discussion curently raging as to whether it's best to use heim joins or weld them solid... regarding fatigue, flex, effectiveness, warp, failure, etc.

Anyone know how to model an object in sheet metal? Do I have to make the planes have some thickness, or is there a way to just add thickness to the model after I am done with the basic shape ?... -Les

Hey Les, to use the sheet metal app you can open a sheet metal template (versus a part template). You can create faces, flanges, etc. etc. and even use the unfolder to get the flat pattern. You can also convert a standard part into a sheet metal part. The unfolder only works with faces that have curves in one direction, no compound faces can be unfolded (e.g. a wheel well). Geez, I didn't know there were all these posts...I'll have to check these out when I get home from work. L8R -Hugh

I'd love to simulate that bar as well. I am learning Inventor Pro right now, for a project at work.

I am hoping to make a model of the Z in sheet metal, and 'try out things' with it. It will be tricky I think, to combine sheet metal elements with some frame rails, while keeping it workable for the stress analysis portion of the software.

As you can see from the connecting rod a few posts above, the program has the ability to show you where the highest loads are. It can also show you an exaggerated view of the parts deformed under the stress of the load.

I don't have to make an exact model of the car, just something that is structurally similar. So it may not look like a Z , but the fenders , inner fenders and frame rails need to be in the right places. Unfortunately the models of the Z car that I've seen so far are just external skin representations only. Have to make something more suitable for engineering purposes.

-Les

Hey... why don't one of you guys go a stress analysis on cross bars? There's a heated discussion curently raging as to whether it's best to use heim joins or weld them solid... regarding fatigue, flex, effectiveness, warp, failure, etc.

• 7 months later...

Is there a place where we can host the parts for download, it would be great if we could share these models. I have Inventor 10, can your models be saved as that version?? I have also modeled a ZX damper and Ford EDIS wheel, vr sensor, and A/C bracket. I am intrested in dowloading you model if that is possible.

Is there a place where we can host the parts for download, it would be great if we could share these models. I have Inventor 10, can your models be saved as that version?? I have also modeled a ZX damper and Ford EDIS wheel, vr sensor, and A/C bracket. I am intrested in dowloading you model if that is possible.

Are you talking about my models or Cygnusx1's? I can probably post them up to my comcast account if you're interested.

Once you migrate an Inventor model past IV_10 (for instance), you can't open it in 10 anymore. Luckily, I think these were made in R10 or earlier.

I was talking about your models HughDogZ, I am going to use some of your models with mine together. It looks like you went pretty detailed with measurements on the head. Did you measure the pistons and con rods??

I can share my EDIS wheel and mounting model soon, just need to verfiy a couple more details. I am aware of no backwards compatiblity now, kinda blows.

Cheers, Clint

...It looks like you went pretty detailed with measurements on the head. Did you measure the pistons and con rods??

Well, I just eyeballed it from those books about how to rebuild / modify your Datsun OHC.:icon50: I used whatever book measurements I could. I didn't truly reverse-engineer any of the models except for the Weber TB, but I think the engine dimensions are reasonable...I could probably get sued for infringement on the TB, lol.

BRAAP noticed that I didn't even get the intake / exhaust patterned right. That shouldn't be too hard to fix, but then you have to re-build all the Fillets. I'll try and get the original files posted for you tomorrow.

I can share my EDIS wheel and mounting model soon, just need to verfiy a couple more details. I am aware of no backwards compatiblity now, kinda blows.

Cheers, Clint

That would be cool! I'd like to check it out. Inventor doesn't do the forward compatibilty and most likely never will. We can save them out as some neutral file format like IGES, but then they're just dumb solids after that...so yeah, it kind of blows.

I should try out a stress analysis simulation on the strut tower braces (as others mentioned). I was curious about the same thing...whether or not bending moments in the welded design is better than a two-force member design (no bending) because of the Heim/spherical joints. I'm sure you'd have to figure out how to apply different loading scenarios to get meaningful results...

I tried doing some pistons, but found limited info in the service manual as far as dimensions. The nice thing about Inventor is that you can ballpark things and then easily update after !!

I plan to model the manifolds and some other things later on, and will share them too. I have some preliminary front suspension done as well. Agreed that IGES is probably good enough for stock parts, won't need to modify once it's drawn.

There seems to be a lot of engineers and and designers on this board, hopefulley all the important stuff will be digital. That means lot's of tasty new shiny parts for everyone.

Thanx so much, Clint

Right-click, save link as...seems to work now.

http://home.comcast.net/~hughhenderson/engine_R11.zip (~ 14 Mb)

http://home.comcast.net/~hughhenderson/engine_R9.zip (~ 28 Mb)

All the valvetrain was created in R11 using the cam generator, shaft generator, etc. so I couldn't save them in R9 format.:icon_frow

For those of you who don't have a copy of Inventor, you can download the free viewer at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=7333846&siteID=123112

-Hugh