HybridZ

Hard Cold Starts

Hey have a 80 280ZX competely stock. 3spd auto (changing soon lol) when its really cold outside and she has been sitting for a few hours or more you have to keep the starter engaged for 5-10 seconds and then it dies, 5-10, then dies, you have to keep doing this for about 2-3 minutes before it actually starts up. i really dont like putting the starter through this because i know its something else. its really cold for me to be doing troubleshooting right now because i have a carport. I dont mind being out there welding or something, but to be doing electrical work or troubleshooting is just too much. My boss said it could be the timing which i havent checked yet. and from a few posts i saw it might also be a vacuum leak. Im about to replace the PCV valve tomorrow and ive replaced the fuel filter. Also, when it does start cold, it runs kinda bad in the low rpms for a couple minutes almost like a bad injector feeling but when it gets above 2 grand it feels fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

paul

once it actually warms up it seems to run fine. has plenty of power (for a 30yr old car) plugs looked okay, wires are new, havent check the cap and rotor yet though. When its not cold it starts up right away. When i first got it from the auction yard, it had been sitting 2 months. and it started right up like a brand new car.

I have the same problem.

I also notice that if it's cold and I DO manage to get it started it only runs on like 3 or 4 cylinders, and sounds reallllllllllllly nasty for some reason.

I think the cold is keeping the rings tight to the pistons, and they don't seal as well as they should. letting in some oil to foul up the plugs.

mix that oil with some of the fuel that's been flooding into there after 2 or 3 minutes of cranking, and you got a bad starting issue.

Im gonna just clean off my plugs and then adjust my timing accordingly, or even knock it back a degree or two, and then i'll try it again.

but right now it's -23 degrees celsius here in Toronto with the windchill factor, so I'm not even going outside, nevermind in the garage with no heat.

hmm, i guess i should check the plugs again. i havent checked them since its been cold. but it only feels like it runs on 4 or 5 cylinders for like one minute after its running, and then its fine. this is my daily driver so id rather it would start right up lol.

Check your cold start injector. I had removed my cold start injector and I have the same exact problem in the cold (now). Your cold start injector is working thru a temp sensor switch in the T-stat housing. Check this sensor first. This sensor when cold provide ground to 1 of the pin on the cold start injector. Also check the other pin to the cold start injector for 12V ignition. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Check your cold start injector. I had removed my cold start injector and I have the same exact problem in the cold (now). Your cold start injector is working thru a temp sensor switch in the T-stat housing. Check this sensor first. This sensor when cold provide ground to 1 of the pin on the cold start injector. Also check the other pin to the cold start injector for 12V ignition. Good luck.

I agree, sounds like a classic cold start problem. If that checks out, and you get a ground and 12 volts to the injector you could remove it and plug it in and see if it sprays when someone else turns over the engine , do it in a glass. and wear eye protection.