HybridZ

Structural adhesive

Howdy all,

I have been frying my brain over the last couple of days trying to find out inf. on adhesives. I have studied "aircraft spruce" and e-mailed them some questions but have had no reply as yet. I have also been in a NASA site that has the strenghts of lots of different ones,but what a nightmare. I am now far more confused. What i want is a adesive that is stiff and strong as possable that can be used at room temp. So far the best i have com up with is something called ar-1004 from tacc international, but there web site has nothing on it. The other ones that i have acsess two are hysol ea9430 or aeropoxy es6279. I am going to be joining ali., steel, balsa wood and mabye fiberglass or carbon fibre depending on what will work. The parts can be riveted as well.

Any one out there know of anything better? This will be to make the rear floor and fire wall on my race car and on the backbone chassis on the z.

Thanks

Douglas

Guest greimann

Try your local auto paint and body supply. There are many types of structural adhesives used in the auto repair industry. Many times they come in those convenient double tube mixing cartridges.

Thanks guys,

Aircraft spruce got back to me this morning and suggested something called t-88. I think that stronger stuff exists. Anyone familiar with it?

I dont mean to be to much of a cynic but i think the sugested this becuase it can be air mailed.

weird.gif

Does any one else have any sugestion. The whole piont is to make it as strong and stiff as possable.

Cheers

Douglas

Douglas, you may wish to try your search from a different angle. Contact local adhesive suppliers and state what you want to bond together eg metal to metal. Don't mention car use, that may throw them. Sikaflex for one may have something, marine suppliers are good for wood and fiberglass adhesives.

Thanks,

I have only tried the net so far. Its still a couple of months before i can start, so i am just gathering as much inf. as i can.

Terry, I know your not a fan of glues, Can you give me a idea what you have used and didnt like?

Cheers,

Douglas

Alrightythen,

I have done a bit of leg work and visited the local aircraft repair place and talked to a supplier of all things glue like in town. The aircraft guys use 3ms scotch weld and the other people offered something that was strong but flexable. I dont want flex at all. I compaired the shear strenghts and the 3m stuff was on the bottom of the scale, around 1700 psi per inch.

t-88 is 2000 psi

es6279 aeropoxy 3480 psi

hysol ea9430 4500 psi.

The strengt was on bonded ali. cured at room temp.

The hysol also had a really high peel strenght which makes it way better then the rest IMHO.

This has not been a easy subject to research. I have spent days on the p.c. trying to battle through Material data sheets and sites designed for NASA, not back yard dreamers like myself.

Do any of you know of any thing stronger?

Thanks again,

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, it'll lift a guy up by his hard hat (and if you've never been picked up by your hard hat, boy is it painful.. ba dump pa..) smile.gif

Regards,

Lone