HybridZ

Rocker Panel Cost of Replacement

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

I've posted here before and we've determined I need to replace my passenger side rocker panel due to holes on the top and a small hole where it meets the front fender. Last night I took off the drivers side fender and everything to check out that rocker and low and behold, one hole and lots of rust eating away at the lip meeting the inner rocker of the car. Here's some pictures to remind you of the passenger side and the new ones of the drivers side.

Questions:

1) How much would be expected to have a shop replace the whole rocker panel?

2) On the drivers side (one with arrows) would it be good enough to have a long patch of sheet metal made for the top flat part, as long as the rest of the rocker is not rusted? Or should I replace both whole rocker panels?

Thank you for any information.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

Hate to say it but I'm pretty sure if you have rust on the top of that rocker, there is rust on it where you can't see it....

If you really want to do it right, and only once, change out both. There are threads in the archives about this subject, and it even explains how to, and how to protect the back side, where you can't get to once everythings back together and painted.

As far as cost to have this done... sorry, I can't answer that from experience. I myself, will be doing this same work soon. I already have the new rockers, and all the tools necessary to complete the job, its just getting myself geared up to dig into it.....

Not looking forward to it, thats for sure. :mad:

Hate to say it but I'm pretty sure if you have rust on the top of that rocker, there is rust on it where you can't see it....

If you really want to do it right, and only once, change out both. There are threads in the archives about this subject, and it even explains how to, and how to protect the back side, where you can't get to once everythings back together and painted.

As far as cost to have this done... sorry, I can't answer that from experience. I myself, will be doing this same work soon. I already have the new rockers, and all the tools necessary to complete the job, its just getting myself geared up to dig into it.....

Not looking forward to it, thats for sure. :mad:

I have to agree with that, but the tabco panel should replace the whole rocker. You will also need to get a set of front lower quarter panels to replace the ones that will be removed in the process.

I have to agree with that, but the tabco panel should replace the whole rocker.

The Tabco panel replaces the outer rocker panel (from the seam out). There's no replacement for the inner or the backup sheet metal. Those, if rusted, have to fabricated as in the examples here:

http://www.betamotorsports.com/services/RustRepair.html

NEVER NEVER NEVER Ever assume that the rust you see is all that there is. My rockers were rusted where you could fit your hand in and feel down the inside of the rocker. I bought 3 rockerpanels from MSA and a family friend did it for only 150 bucks which was really nice of him. I started by removing the spotwelds from the top and botom seem and removing the outer shell. Once you do this be sure to hunt down every little speck of rust grind it off and weld up the holes and then use rust reformer paint (thats what I did) and seal it all up.

Im not sure how much the labor would cost but its not gonna be cheap.

Good luck

I might end up trying to replace it myself. I don't think I'm going to replace the whole panel, unless when I cut off the rusted areas, I find some extra rust inside the rocker. I've already looked with a mirror and a light and it looks good so far. I will be putting bad dog frame rail covers on to help stiffen the chassis, and new sways and strut bars.

Is there a certain way I have to jack the car, or do I even have to worry about it? I was thinking about putting a scissor jack under the middle of the car on the frame rail so it doesn't bend..