HybridZ

Selling the 280zx for a 300zx, worth it?

sltn87

Well not too long ago I recently got me a 1983 N/T 5 speed 280zx, I was very excited to have the car and immediately had big plans for it. After owning it for a few months of owning it I started to wonder was it more trouble restoring it than it's worth, I found out that the drivers side door has a crack that needs to be welded, to big rustholes on the floorboards (passenger and drivers side under the seats) and after putting it on a lift to have the clutch replaced I saw how soft the underbody was lastly I can't find a speedometer cable that screws into the cluster for it (yes little thigns like that annoy me). Here's the deal now, I discovered that a friend of mine has a 1985 Nissan 300zx N/T he is selling for $600 because he is tired of seeing it plus he is going overseas. This car has a newly rebuilt/possibly new engine, digital dash, CLEAN interior, no cracked dash, 15' Momo Rims, no leaky t-tops, you name it, the only problem that it's an automatic which is no problem since I can swap it over, I think it's a deal I can't refuse, what do you all think? I'm going to post pictures of both cars so you can decide for yourself, I apologize for my long post, I just need some insight on what to do.:rolleyes:

280zx (currently owned)

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011.jpg

300zx (possible purchase)

IMGP0014-3.jpg

IMGP0015-4.jpg

IMGP0016-1.jpg

IMGP0026-3.jpg

IMGP0018-4.jpg

IMGP0019-1.jpg

Well, it's really up to you.. but it sounds like a good deal on the 300zx... I has a 280zx as my first car, and two more since then so I have a soft spot for the those softer sprung/heavier beasts.. What do you mean by 'soft' unibody? That zx looks to be in GREAT shape as far as I'm concerned.. :icon45: Seriously, Canada is rough in old Z's.. I'd be very excited to find one up here that still HAS a floor.. at all.. :cry: I personally don't care much for the 1st gen 300's.. they rot just as bad, but have a better FI system.. although that digital dash would scare me..

Well, it's really up to you.. but it sounds like a good deal on the 300zx... I has a 280zx as my first car, and two more since then so I have a soft spot for the those softer sprung/heavier beasts.. What do you mean by 'soft' unibody? That zx looks to be in GREAT shape as far as I'm concerned.. :icon45: Seriously, Canada is rough in old Z's.. I'd be very excited to find one up here that still HAS a floor.. at all.. :cry: I personally don't care much for the 1st gen 300's.. they rot just as bad, but have a better FI system.. although that digital dash would scare me..

Soft underbody not unibody (as in under the car).:)

:shock: oh.. right... ( <---- Dr evil voice) Well yah, that's very very very not good.. Still not as bad as my first one; Little floor jack in my driveway.. touched the 'rail' in the back, and the jack went up about 2" before the car moved at all!! :icon56: How much is the 300zx? :lol: I'd keep the 280 if you can.. evrythings fixable.. but if you don't have the room or the urge, well.. hopefully you can find someone who does? (I hate seeing Z's go the the crusher...)

:shock: oh.. right... ( <---- Dr evil voice) Well yah, that's very very very not good.. Still not as bad as my first one; Little floor jack in my driveway.. touched the 'rail' in the back, and the jack went up about 2" before the car moved at all!! :icon56: How much is the 300zx? :lol: I'd keep the 280 if you can.. evrythings fixable.. but if you don't have the room or the urge, well.. hopefully you can find someone who does? (I hate seeing Z's go the the crusher...)

The 300zx is going for $600, everything is fixable but I don't know if I have the time or resources to do it down the road, I was just thinking it would be nice to have a clean Z car that I can just instantly jump to working on the suspension and begin building it up, at the same time I really enjoy my 280zx. :(

I vote that you keep the 280zx. I think the 1984-1988 300zx was the worst design for Z's. Also, the digital dash is going to be a pain to find in case you need to replace it. I had a 1988 turbo 300zx (got in accident and was totalled and I should have kept the LSD diff!!) and the digital dash and for some reason, just didn't feel like I had a sports car, instead it was just another luxury Maxima!

My 2 cents.

I also vote for the 280zx, they often have soft frame rails. They just didn't build them strong enough at that point to allow frequent lifting with such a heavy front end. They really should have been strengthened from the factory. Overall the car does not look "that bad" but again, I am from Canada too.. Unless you do something to strengthen the frame soon, the number of years left with the car are limited. You could just avoid anything other than drive on hoists, and enjoy the car for a few more years. However I'd be willing to bet only a couple more years and the 300zx will start showing it's age heavy too. The only thing I like better about the 300zx is the superior ecu/maf system. Other than that it is one of the most aweful cars in the world to work on.. Granted the Vg30 is a excellent engine. Try and change a alternator, starter or head temp sensor and you'll know what I'm talking about. On the the flipside, a 280zx is almost a joke how easy it is to perform normally difficult tasks. I don't mean to offend any z31 owners out there, it is a very well built car (thank goodness) cuz you sure don't wanna work on it. I like them just fine as long as they are someone else's and not mine.. LOL

Ok, mind is made up, I'm going to keep the 280zx :mrgreen:, I couldn't bare the thought of it going into the wrong hands, plus I have a lot of stuff I bought for it that I never installed yet. :( Instead how does this idea sound, sell my 420a Auto DSM (Chrysler Sebring) and get the 300zx, does anyone have any input on the 300zx being a good daily driver as the Sebring? Thanks in advance.

I'd be very excited to find one up here that still HAS a floor.. at all.. :cry:

That statement cracked me up!!

If it makes you feel any better in the past 6years I have bought and sold many nice cars (think around 10!) including a killer AMG Mercedes, and three brutally quick AE86 Corolla GT-S' and the ONLY one I kept was my 280ZX..! It is my baybee. Speaking of which....here she is:

218001224.jpg

To:

86310554.jpg

Yasin

I dunno, I guess I would rate them the same. Sebring is likely alot newer but that doesn't count for much IMO. Sebring trannys are known to crap out frequently. Far less likely to see big ticket items fail on the Nissan. However small things are likely to be cheaper on the domestic. I guess it comes down to which car YOU like better, for me.. I'd rather drive the 300zx.

I dunno, I guess I would rate them the same. Sebring is likely alot newer but that doesn't count for much IMO. Sebring trannys are known to crap out frequently. Far less likely to see big ticket items fail on the Nissan. However small things are likely to be cheaper on the domestic. I guess it comes down to which car YOU like better, for me.. I'd rather drive the 300zx.

True on the tranny part, I wish I knew then what I knew now. The Sebring is a good looking car, but it's turning radius is horrible, having a dodge neon motor in a heavy car gives me no passing power, and my tranny leaks and slips.

I'd be very excited to find one up here that still HAS a floor.. at all.. :cry: I personally don't care much for the 1st gen 300's.. they rot just as bad, but have a better FI system.. although that digital dash would scare me..

Amen, to the brotha west of you :mrgreen:.