HybridZ

Flowmaster 40 series 1 in 2 out

sltn87

IMGP0002-2.jpg

Well I'm planning on running a Flowmaster 40 series w/ a high flow cat, I'm going to have 2.5" pipe ran to the muffler and then have pipes exiting from the two outlet chambers of the muffler to sidpipes coming out before the rear tires, any thoughts or concerns that I should think of before getting this done? I took this took a local exhaust shop and they said it cannot be done because the muffler is too big and the cat is not as long as the original one? :icon56: (I thought that was the whole purpose of a highflow cat??) and they also said I'd have to stick with the factory 2" piping and they will install a round muffler w/ chrome tips using the factory piping and cat which that made no sense to me so I decided to let someone I know run my exhaust, anyways any opinions are welcome.

The muffler shop you went to are idiots. First things first, are you running a header? If not, get one first.

If you are running a header than any competent muffler shop can run the pipe at the width you want and stick new hangers in where needed.

I you're not running a header then they would have to use your old factory exhaust as a flange because of the oddbal outlet on the stock manifold and then they could step up to the size you want, but it's practically pointless unless all you're doing is changing the pitch.

For the muffler, it will fit in the stock location and you can run chrome tips out. Otherwise it will require making space somewhere under the car and a whole lot of fab work to get the dual pipes to fit around the suspension and out where you want it. Stick it in the stock spot and run tips, it's easier.

The muffler shop you went to are idiots. First things first, are you running a header? If not, get one first.

If you are running a header than any competent muffler shop can run the pipe at the width you want and stick new hangers in where needed.

I you're not running a header then they would have to use your old factory exhaust as a flange because of the oddbal outlet on the stock manifold and then they could step up to the size you want, but it's practically pointless unless all you're doing is changing the pitch.

For the muffler, it will fit in the stock location and you can run chrome tips out. Otherwise it will require making space somewhere under the car and a whole lot of fab work to get the dual pipes to fit around the suspension and out where you want it. Stick it in the stock spot and run tips, it's easier.

Yeah I thought they were idiots as well, No I'm not running a header although I do have this custom downpipe from a vg30e 300zx fabbed up to fit a 280zx, I didn't want to go w/ headers because after searching HybridZ most posts said that you just make more noise lose bottom end power from them, plus in one post I found it said that the later 280zx had the best flowing exhaust manifold since they are "equally tuned runners" so I just decided to use them w/ the custom downpipe and run my exhaust from there. So basically running my muffler in the stock location should give me adequete room and give me just as much gain as running them from sidepipes?

IMGP0003-3.jpg

and the cat is not as long as the original one? :icon56: (I thought that was the whole purpose of a highflow cat??).

A shorter cat doesn't flow more or less. To get higher flow, you need to go larger in diameter (more cells). Longer cats will do a better job at reducing emmisions as the exhaust is exposed to the catalysts a little longer but a short one should be fine on a smaller engine like an L6, compared to a 5.7l.