HybridZ

Gasket Sealant

dimsum

I'm about to transfer all the external components from my old engine with a blown piston ring to a rebuilt engine. I was wondering what kind of gasket sealant I need to use for things like the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, water pump, coolant lines, etc.

I did a search and found the following thread on the Chevy V8 forum:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=67732

Does anybody know if the GM sealant is still the best way to go? Should I use that on all the holes that use a paper gasket? Is there one gasket sealant for the intake/exhaust manifold and another for the coolant or anything else that doesn't come in contact with fuel?

Guest TeamNissan

Ya get the black one. They do try to market them for each think like intake or water pump but the black one will work on anything except exhaust like gjc said.

For parts like the valve covers that use a rubber seal I use indian head sealant.

You can get both from autozone or equiv. You could use the gm but in my experience its a tiny bit over priced and not to be used with everything liek the black one I'm talking about.

Guest TeamNissan
I use Permatex ultra grey or black on practically everything including the exhaust (if needed). The grey is actually higher temp rated. Unlike RTV it will adhere to any clean surface and itself.

Ya your right the grey is rated higher temp but the black is rated higher oil resistance so I guess its w/e suites the particular need.

I wouldnt use anything on the head gasket expect copper spray. I dont like the paste because it can restrict the gallies. Thats just me though.