HybridZ

New intercooler progress

240hoke

Hey guys,

I sold my huge FMIC a couple months ago and decided to expiriment around with a different setup. I ended up getting a verticle core treadstone unit off ebay.

I choose the smaller verticle core for several reasons.

- Short pipes with less bends

- Short Verticle tubes should be more efficient

- Less charge volume

- Weight.

I just got a started this weekend so here are a few progress pictures:

verticle_IC_028.jpg

Since the core is so small I'm going for maximum effciency. The air ducting is 16ga aluminum and will hopefully help force the air through the i/c and keep it from rolling around the tanks. Also made a slight inward taper on it to help with airflow.

verticle_IC_030.jpg

Running the tubing under is very tight but it think worked out very well it gets the pipe out of the engine bay quickly and will oly a few bends. My belly pan/ spliter should keep it from harm.

verticle_IC_022.jpg

Still have alot of work to do, the exit tube will go through the vent hole and to hte throttle body.

With all the added room up front I will also be mounting the airfilter up front and my methanol tank :flamedevi

The intercooler and sections of pipe infront of the radiator core will be powdercoated wrinkle black, and in hte engine bay hte pipes will be brushed.

Lemme know what yall think, I wont be workin on it again for another two weeks. So Ive got some time for revisions

• Like 1

Man, I just got through doing my intercooler to be like yours and you go and change...dang you...just kidding...thanks for you ideas and help Austin..It's alot easier when I can look at your great craftsmanship and have something to go by...I'm just trying to keep up. Check out my 280z gallery and tell me what you think of the black cooler sleeper look.

Guest 280ZForce

Glad I could recommend the treadstone vertical core intercooler to ya!

looks good but your gonna have more bends in that setup I think than if you just moved the IC up and over towards driver side and ran both pipes through the core support like I've done. I think clearance will be a big issue was well even with your splitter covering them up, it's still super low.

If you moved the IC up and over, then you have the passenger side area to mount your methanol tank.

Here's how mine was setup... the piping is gonna be even shorter now though after the new custom manifolds go on.

DSC_0004a.jpg

DSC_0003a.jpg

DSC_0001a.jpg

Thanks for the pics and damn you have that thing wedged in there.

The main concern I have with that setup is I dont see how you will fit 2 2.5" pipes and a 3" intake pipe through the core support on that side, looks like two pipes max it out. Also you have two sharp 90's on the bottom tube.

I will be running my air intake through there. Ill play around with it though and see what works out.

Also on another note I was looking on garret's site and they have the same size core, 18x6x3.5 and its rated for 425 hp. I hope to push about 500 through it running methonal. We will see how that goes!

You can have it all. My 3" intake passes through the support where 280ZForces' lower ic does. My lower 2.5" ic path has only one 90 degree bend to the firewall. It is clocked backwards at roughly 45 degrees instead of straight up, passing a cutout just above the lower radiator support hole. My lower ic routes to my thottlebody so I don't have to bend it back down.

My intercooler is mounted a little more forward so I can clock the 90 degree bend back some. It also allows me to mount a thin radiator fan between the IC and radiator to reduce heatsoak.

I see one more thing. 240hoke, you and I have the older 240Z radiator support which has more room to route the lower IC pipe. I also should mention that I can mount and air cleaner in between the IC intake and outlet. Yes, it's all a very tight fit.

Guest 280ZForce

My new setup once I start getting things back together will have a shorter 3" charge pipe up top where the BOV goes, then a shorter version 2.5" hot pipe.

My turbo has a 4" inlet for the air filter, so I have a small section of 4" pipe on it, then a huge K&N filter on it.

Not really any room to run a 4" pipe for a cold air induction...lol.

My new setup once I start getting things back together will have a shorter 3" charge pipe up top where the BOV goes, then a shorter version 2.5" hot pipe.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since the cold air is denser then it should be the one in smaller diameter pipe and the hot pipe the larger diameter?

Or is the difference just negligable?

Mario

Guest 280ZForce
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since the cold air is denser then it should be the one in smaller diameter pipe and the hot pipe the larger diameter?

Or is the difference just negligable?

Mario

well... the new intake manifold and tb setup is gonna be huge... custom done lonewolf intake manifold that i'm getting even more custom tailored to fit up a q45 90mm tb. So the charge pipe needs to be enlarged to flow all that air. 3" charge pipe could be even larger since the TB opening is around 3.5" on it.

the inlet on turbo for the hot pipe is around 2.5", so that's why I'm keeping that pipe that diameter.

Now that Austin's got a new intercooler (=faster) I would like to see the installation of his old intercooler on his buildup site. Dang, I just bought a sweet crossflow intercooler and wanted to see how Austin did it since I'm just getting started.

Anybody got picts of their IC install? Please post!

Titus -- Here is the thread from my last i/c setup:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105590

also check out http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/austin for more up to date pictures.

I wish i could update my buildup site but I ran out of room on the free geocities name, and I dunno about buying my own site, maybe someday.

-Austin