HybridZ

Main hoop mounting point on 280z

Forces

Yes, this is a stupid question, and yes, I have searched.

The only place I can see that you could mount a main hoop in a 280Z is right where it should be, but the problem is that in order to use a 6"x6" mounting plate, I would have to cover up the hole in the body for the seat belt mechanism. I have seen a lot of people mount cages to the rear wheel well, but those people seem to be more interested in SCCA and roll bars. I am interested in NHRA. Is that a legal point to mount a cage?

I would like to mount it to the floor, but If I were going to do that I would need to figure something out for a seat belt. I could go with a harness, but those are illegal to drive on the road with in Oregon. They say it's becasue you can't lean forward to look around turns. Are there alternitaves to the stock seat belt other than a harness? I don't really like the way the seat belts are set up on the 280Z anyway.

Yes, that's the area where most roll bar/cage main hoops are located and is one of the strongest places in the chassis. Some people trim the main hoop and edge it into the rocker, others build a small box in the corner and put the main hoop on that. Schroth makes a DOT legal 4 point harness that would be legal for road use in Oregon.