HybridZ

Importance of Good Grounding!

trippintl0

Well I finally got around to installing my 300zx coil in my 280zx (running MSnS-extra, cheap autozone HEI ign module, optical dizzy). I haven't really had any time to mess with my car since I work full time and go to school full time, plus it's my daily driver, so all repairs have to be finished the same day!

Anyways, I noticed that when we painted the engine bay, we forgot to clean the metal where the coil grounds to the engine compartment! I don't know how it even was running. I also found like 3-4 ground wires that were so dirty, and 2 that were not even connected. (We were really sloppy trying to get this thing running, first car project ever)

So, the point is, I used my die grinder to clean all the metal nice and bare, reinstalled everything with dielectric grease, new 300zx coil (actually came from early infiniti m30, had the vg30 i think). The car runs A MILLION times better! It actually freaked me out, because the throttle response increased tenfold. The mid-throttle is so much smoother and more powerful. I imagine I'll get better gas mileage as well. (i've never got much better than 20 mpg, but since I always drive the car so hard, i figured that was why)

Also for a while I had a problem with the car missing above ~4800 rpms. I sort of solved it by making the spark plug gap smaller, but now it's even better; it is smooth all the way up to about 5700 (i don't really rev higher b/c it's stock with hydraulic rockers, doesn't make any more power above 5500)

In addition (sorry for such a long post!), my radio has always made a buzzing noise, which is now disappeared!! I'm excited.

Moral of the story: If you are a beginner like me, don't forget that grounding is very important - don't overlook it.