HybridZ

Do I need the MSD 8910 tach adaptor?

big-phil

I have a msd box, it's the grey colored SC (sport compact) model. I simply hooked up a wire from the box itself directly to the tach. It is a little eractic as in sometimes it works fine, other times it does not work at all. However I think the problem is the flakey spade connector they gave me to plug into the box. I never got a chance to look into it as I was too busy then it was time to park it for the winter.

If you don't have an MSD you don't need this module. Just check your wiring at the coil. On a turbo ZX it's a BLU wire at the coil. This wire goes thru a resistor and then to the tach. I am not sure how it is on a Z.

I have Megasquirt, I don't have any of the stock wire harness.

Did you tear out all the original wiring? The wires that went to the coil originally are integrated into the main harness (headlights, marker, horn. ect.)

All I did was hook up the original blue wire for the -coil terminal and reconnect it to the present coil. (and yes, the color is blue, even on the older cars)

• 3 years later...

I know in the rules we arnt suppose to start our own thread if we have a question pertaining to something already being talked about, so Phil im sry this doesn't pertain to your Megasquirt tach question; but it does pertain to the topic title. Anyways,

I have A MSD 6400 well 6series black ignition box on my 77 Z The guy i bought it from had the ignition installed. He told me that the Tach was just not hooked up. but I was wondering if I need to buy the MSD adapter, and what kind should i buy? Does anyone else have a 280z with a MSD 6 series setup, did u need to use an adapter?

thanks

Edited by somthinrandm

Phil, your running haltech E6K right?

http://www2.haltech.com.au/downloads/e6k/E6KLoomRevF.pdf

Page 78:

http://www2.haltech.com.au/downloads/e6k/E6KManual.pdf

You need to configure Aux out for the signal:

Aux. Out FunctionThe Auxiliary Output on the E6K can be configured for one of several functions. They

are all output to the Aux Out pin (pin A) on plug J7 in the wiring loom. The available

functions are:

Tacho Output Used for driving tachometers when running a multicoil

ignition set-up. This output combines all of the multicoil

signals into one output and this is used to provide an RPM

measurement.