HybridZ

replacing mustache bar bushings??

The easiest thing may actually be to install some polyurethane Energy Suspension bushings. Instead of having to press the outer bushing shell out of the mustache bar, you just remove all the rubber (doesn't take long, just cut it out and use a torch to heat around the bar until you can scrape off every scrap of rubber) and press in the poly bushings with a regular vise. they'll be better in the long run anyway.

Yup, no press needed. Just torch (propane works just fine) those suckers right out. Hold the flame to it and keep it there. It will start smoking real bad, but keep it there, it will make cleaning out the inside a lot easier. Let it burn, then smush it all out with a screwdriver. Installing poly bushings are probably your best bet.

You know, I haven't heard anyone say anything about torching these things out (easiest way to do it), even though the mustache bar is spring steel, and heating it, or drilling into it for the R230 swap, supposedly weakens spring steel. :confused:

!M!

I don't think the heat from the burning out of the rubber is anywhere near hot enough to cause any tempering of the mustache bar.

Not mentioned here, and probably because it's obvious, but Don't remove the bushing sleeves from the mustache bar. They are the only sleeves that stay when replacing bushings.

Here's a visual of how I got mine out! Once you burn them out, and scrape most of the remaining rubber away, the new ones can be pressed in by hand. Don't forget to add the ES bushing grease (should come with the bushings). Oh, and don't remove that metal "eye" that holds the stock bushings in - it needs to stay in.

fdff8561.jpg

fdff855b.jpg

New bushings are about 30 bucks - I got mine from strictlyz.com (Kyle and Yuichi)

http://strictlyz.com/?page=shop/browse&category_id=124&ps_session=ac4a6e5418fd16ee8b842cf9b20adcc6

Nooo.... Don't heat the rubber itself - it will stink you out of the garage! Instead heat the metal surrounding the rubber. When it gets hot enough you'll see little strings of melting rubber begin to squeeze out as the rubber expands. At this point take a socket extension or something and press the bushing right out!

Note: this will still smoke some but not nearly as much. If you get small spots of the rubber catching fire blow them out as it will reduce the stink. When it's ready to come out it will come out in one piece easily. Replace with Energy Suspension urethane pieces - I wouldn't reuse the R180 rubber even if you could get it out...