HybridZ

Questionable/Knockoff Bolt-on Intakes

Canadianz

Hey guys, I’m in the process of getting all the parts together for an RB25DET swap into my 71 240Z. I would really like to ditch the stock crossover intake manifold as a Greddy style would be much simpler to plumb the intercooler piping etc. Legitimate Greddys are running around 900-1000 usd from what I have seen on a couple sites and ebay. I have also seen "freddy or greedy" knock offs for less than half that price. I wondered if any one has had any experience with these units, most seem to come from Thailand or China. I have seen a couple of the JUN style aluminum types for sale too, and they look really nice, I just worry about quality. Has anyone had any experience with any of these or has any suggestions as far as intakes for the RB25DET. If the parts work I have no problem running a freddy as long as it works!

Thanks Guys,

Here are the links:

KU Engineering (JUN) style

here

Another Jun Style

here

Freddy style

here

i've been using my custom one, i just broke down and got a real greddy, and 90mm q45 tb, i got the tb already , intake should be here tuesday. the ku engineering is decent my buddy's got that on his and he hasn't had any problems with it, just make sure they weld the throttle body flange on.

Interesting... Well that is good news I really like the look of the KU's especially the idea of the velocity stacks inside the intake itself.

What is the differnce between the real Greddys and the knockoffs ? Anything much or just the quality of the castings etc. . . ? Ive heard the Q45 TB's are a good upgrade.

Thanks for the advice!

Although not on an RB, I am running a Veilside copy on my 2JZ. It required major work to get it to flow correctly. My machinist reshaped the runners to match the ports as well as the manifold bolt holes to get good fit / performance.

And yes... the Q45 tb is a good upgrade.

Just my .02

well i got the Greddy today. it came with all the mounting hardware, vacuum lines, instructions, and all. it's got the bungs on the underside which i like as well as the cut out for the idle air control valve. all in all i'm happy with it. the ku engineering that my friend has is not really different at all, in fact it looks like the runners(velocity stacks) may even be a tad larger on his as well as having a smoother surface. also his plenum is polished so it's shiny and sexy where as the greddy is regular grayish silver and bumpy. all in all we'll see what his car makes with a gt35r and mine with a gt30/71r. i must be the victor in the dyno queen battle roflmao

well i got the Greddy today. it came with all the mounting hardware, vacuum lines, instructions, and all. it's got the bungs on the underside which i like as well as the cut out for the idle air control valve. all in all i'm happy with it. the ku engineering that my friend has is not really different at all, in fact it looks like the runners(velocity stacks) may even be a tad larger on his as well as having a smoother surface. also his plenum is polished so it's shiny and sexy where as the greddy is regular grayish silver and bumpy. all in all we'll see what his car makes with a gt35r and mine with a gt30/71r. i must be the victor in the dyno queen battle roflmao

You can always polish the GReddy plenum =)

I have a greddy copy on rb25/30. Its a prety average casting but big enough inside to not affect airflow. I will try and take some pics of the inside if anybody is interested. The outside of the casting has been painted with what looks like thick silver paint to make it look smother.

I have a vh45 80mm throttle that bolted straight up, and the water pipes and idle control also, the fit on the idle control/aac was good but the port does not line up very well. It will be ok, but maybe around 40% of the port is blocked off.

A die grinder will fix it in no time. Also the runners to the head are good, but require a little port matching. Nothing serious but there are gains to be made.

The other ports for vacum and brake booster are ok. The threads were all clean and tapped right out.

The price was around 1/3 the price of the genuine one so im not worried about spending a little on giving it a tidy up.

well for its settled for me. Maybe it was the shinyness :) but I have a ku intake on its way now, its also coming with a 90mm aluminum throttle body, with the proper flange welded on. I'll make sure to post pictures when it arrives, it will be interesting to see what it looks like up close!

Fraz, good information. did you purchase yours off ebay, or from another source? Have you had a chance to compare the inside runner/plenum vs a genuine greddy manifold? Like you said, at 1/3 the price its worth 'fixing'

i bought it from a guy that got a few of them from china.

They are same dimensions and ports and everything as greddy one but a rougher casting. just needs a clean up and will be all good.

My clean up will just be a quick smooth out with a flap wheel, not going to take any major amounts of material out of it.

the greddy is the ♥♥♥♥. i looked at it in comparison to my friend's ku and the velocity stacks are the same size. i have WAY more, like 5 more inches of clearance from the side of the plenum to the side of the fender than he does. everything bolted straight up, i'm not using an iac at the moment so i made a plate for it out of aluminum that i did matched up with the iac gasket and one of the holes for that was a little off. the only other issues i've had with it are i had to clean the threads up for the coolant temp and coolant sender, and since the q45 90mm throttle body is so big and the throttle cable on the q45 is on the driver side, i have to make a bracket to hold the throttle cable in place. the greddy has a place for it but it's on the passenger side. i must say though the greddy kicks ass and i'm very pleased. if i had to do it again, i'd get the greddy over the ku. i would have liked to flow test both manifolds and get a true true comparison but oh well LOL. i've never ran such a big throttle body so once i'm done i'll let you know if it's sleepy at low rpms.

the greddy ownz, accept no substitue. i finally found a tuner, thank you jesus. i tuned it tuesday. on the $200 ebay, xs power t3/to4e .57 a/r comp, peice of crap turbo that'll hit 15psi then after 5,000 rpm slowly go to 14, i made 304rwhp, 274 ft lb torque @ ~15psi. with the 4.11 rear end, i'm very pleased. i have to modify my exhaust manifold to make my gt30/71 clear my valve cover so i'm not gonna mess with anything until i blow up the crap turbo LOL.

i've heard a rumor that the knock off intake plenums don't flow to cylinder 6 correctly or somethingruther not beneficial to cylinder 6 and my friend with his ku intake just blew up and took apart his motor, and low and behold cylinder 6 has a half dollar sized hole in the piston. could be coincedence *shrug

Damn well I really hope thats not the case, what exactly was his set up when it happend ? Its funny as soon as the Intake arrived theres a bunch of negative comments. Oh well Im happy, I'll just have to find out myself and post how it works.

he was running t3/t4, 550's, safc2, 20psi boost (that definately helped contribute). all in all i wanna say his problem was tuner, but someone did mention to me the stuff about cylinder 6 being a problem with knock off intakes, so i thought it might be worth mentioning.