HybridZ

Roadside memorials

283VZ

I think memorials are often overdone and stay too long. That said, I do recognize the need to grieve. Personally though, I think they're completely unnecessary and I agree that the grave is the appropriate place for such things. But that's just me. I don't think those who do erect them (within reason) are "wrong".

They can serve a PURPOSE for the common good however. In these truly unsafe areas... MAYBE if the were a gazillion memorials shown in HIGHLY PUBLISHED PHOTOGRAPHS this MIGHT shame the states into improving SAFETY in those areas.

Definitely saw one today that I actually chuckled at. There was of course a roadside memorial and this thing was bling'd out. It had soo many flowers and a fake headstone/cross thing that was what looked to be gold plated. This thing definitely caught my attention. It is on a freeway offramp and on both sides of the off ramp are MULTIPLE signs that say "NO PARKING AT ANY TIME," I swear I counted like 8 of them within 300 feet. Anyways, I thought it was somewhat ironic that there was multiple no parking signs, and when I was driving by today I see someone PARKED in front of the memorial putting more crap on it. Where is a HiPo when you need one? Save the memorials and flowers for the cemetary people....thats what they are there for.

I dont really care about them, if it helps people cope with the loss of a loved one, i think its ok for them to do it. But in America, its nothing like what they do in Greece. There they put up actual boxes (think sidewalk newspaper dispenser made out of wood and glass) with the persons pic in it, religious paraphernalia, flowers etc. Now i think thats overdoing it

What is it they say... "Death comes to us all"? Hopefully someone will care enough to want us remembered. But let's hope they don't mourn for too long. These memorials should be very temporary... until good memories replace sad ones.

The side of the road is not the place to hold on to the departed, it is done in the heart. I think they are tacky and a form of litter. There should be a fine for putting one up and removed ASAP by the road crews. That would make people think twice about putting one up. I might be considered cold hearted by saying this.