HybridZ

Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends

The ball joints do not have zerks on them, They also have nylon lock nuts rather than castle nuts.

Does anyone know what aftermarket ball joints come with castle nuts instead of nylocks?

Thanks

I agree 100% with this. $100 for a factory ball joint has little to do with quality and a lot to do with scarcity. It's already been posted that you get about a year more out of a NISSAN ball joint under hard use than an aftermarket one (and we dont know WHICH aftermarket one it was). NISSAN ball joints dont have a LLT warranty either, so as long as you dont mind changing ball joints, the aftermarket ones will be a better buy even if they last half as long.

The factory Nissan ball joints are significantly better made then any other I've seen for a 240Z. They last longer then two years under hard road racing and autocross use with big sticky tires and crazy camber/caster angles. The set I had on the ROD lasted 4 years and still checked out fine. They are not scarce at all (I can buy a box of 50 if I want) and I can get them from any Nissan dealer.

One of my customers had a set of brand new no-name ball joints on his 240Z and after 4 open track events they were loose and showed a .2 degree change in camber depending on how you pushed on the tire. For a street car, no name ball joints are fine but be sure to check them every year. For a road race or autocross car, they are junk and I won't install them on any of my customer's cars.

That is great info John. Thank you.

You've convinced me to pony up for the Nissan ball joints when mine wear out.

edit: Now I'm leaning toward dropping the $385 on the Nissan stuff and setting the MSA parts aside as spares.

• 1 month later...

I stopped by an Autozone today and asked for the UF2020 boot. The guy behind the counter said they're discontinued and he can't get them.

It turns out the Specialty Products 33020 boots I got from MSA are a universal piece. I picked up another set for $18 at O'Reilly. Once the first "step" on the inboard side is trimmed off these fit very well.

• 1 year later...