HybridZ

welded rear diff???

Overkill Z

alright...i totally cant afford a LSD kit for my z...and i know lotsa my friends like havn thier diffs welded for drifting...i have driven a couple welded diff cars...rx7...sr20 240's the works.... but i have no idea how it would feel in a z...i would think it would be worse then a turbo car because of our instant torqe would jolt the car.... anyone here have a welded diff in thier z?? should i or should i not? everyones telling me to but im so aprehensive... what should i do?

my buddy's got a turbo volvo sedan thats running like 14 psi right now, hauls ass, just got his diff welded. the boost hitting isn't a problem at all, but then the boost comes in pretty quickly compared to my 280, not as much of a jolt at all. I say go for it, you'll probably be fine

Yea i went over this topic before and a guy i was talkin to that actully owned a Rally 240z in cali told me when he welded his diff in his z the big problem was turning and yes he did drive this everyday would he recomend if u dont have $$$ to fork out for an lsd yes would i do it yes as long as i have a spare Diff just incase...

Yea i went over this topic before and a guy i was talkin to that actully owned a Rally 240z in cali told me when he welded his diff in his z the big problem was turning and yes he did drive this everyday would he recomend if u dont have $$$ to fork out for an lsd yes would i do it yes as long as i have a spare Diff just incase...

yeah thats the problem i have a diff with 336 gear ratios in it and they are really hard to find... the way i see it im goinng have to buy a used stock diff and weld it cause theres no way im welding my diff with the hard to find gears in it

yeah thats the problem i have a diff with 336 gear ratios in it and they are really hard to find... the way i see it im goinng have to buy a used stock diff and weld it cause theres no way im welding my diff with the hard to find gears in it

Yea i wana get a diff and weld it my self now that i understand how it all works.... but im goin to japan in about 2 weeks and am gunna have to head up to upgradge and see if i can snag a R32 CLSD..... and mount that bitch in my z... lol its a R200 i really dont see a big problem in mounting it mabe some custom mounts and stuff but do able...

Yes we have a couple of welded R200 diff. The car drives okay around the street, excelent for the dragstrip. I have a full spool in the monte which is a street car with 4.30 gear ratio, it drives fine also, just when cornering the tires will churp other than that it is okay. You really have to be careful when the roads are wet when turning a corner because it will come around easy.

John

Welding the differential has no affect on the gears.

i know john...but if i dont like the welded diff then its going to be hard to find another with 336 gears in it...because i didnt not like the stock gear ratios...

The differential is a separate, bolt-on unit from the ring gear. If you weld the diff and then don't like it, you can unbolt it from your 3.36 gearset and bolt on another diff - open, LSD, or Quaife. A differential for any R200 will bolt on to pretty much any R200 ring and pinion gearset, assuming a 10mm or 12mm attachment bolt. Same is true for an R180 differential and a R180 ring and pinion gearset.

I have a 3.54:1 locked R180 in my car. Its not that bad to drive, though mine has a habit of loosening the nuts that hold the diff cover to the moustache bar. When they're loose its a total dog as you'd expect, when they're tight.. well carparks are no fun, but everything else is. :)

Dave

I have a 3.54:1 locked R180 in my car. Its not that bad to drive, though mine has a habit of loosening the nuts that hold the diff cover to the moustache bar. When they're loose its a total dog as you'd expect, when they're tight.. well carparks are no fun, but everything else is. :)

Dave

thanks ill make sure to locktight my bolts