HybridZ

a/c removal

gjc5500

I unhooked the belt for my ac compressor some time ago. i used the viewing glass to check for bubbles and from what the service manuel says, there is very little refrigerant in the lines. I need to adjust my alternators tention and the bolt is directly below the ac compressor, it is also blocked by a radiator hose. i was wonder how to discharge the little amount of refrigerant left. Here is a picture of the compressor.

12-22-06_1348.jpg

Yep, if it is under pressure you will get the outflow of R12 and oil. Watch your eyes and skin! There should be a schrader valve for a/c service. You can pull the dust cap and bleed off pressure there too. It isn't a matter of police or environmentalists either. It is a known fact that R12 is destructive to the environment. While your little bit doesn't seems like much imagine about 30 million people with the same mentality doing the same thing. My two cents worth.

Now, I *am* an environmentalist (thats why my sports cars of choice get over 20MPG) but, my understanding is that the freon is there. It has been manufactured, and there really is no way of preventing the chlorine from eventually finding its way into the upper atmosphere....eventually.

(it is the chlorine in the CFCs and the freon, BTW that catalyzes the ozone in the upper atmosphere to bond together into plain old O2 .... 2O3 -->3O2 with the catalytic effect of the chlorine)

Now, that being said, any time I am working on my car's AC i evacuate it.. but when in a boneyard, I figure that if they havent already evacuated these air conditioners, then the refrigerant is going to wind up in the atmosphere when they crush the thing anyhow.....

In other words, in a Junkyard, I am EXTREMELY cavalier and dont giveadamn about it, because its bound to get up there anyhow.

Now, I make this post because I wanted to ask the forum members who may be more informed than I in these regards.. isn't all this refrigreant that mankind has already manufactured bound to wind up up there someday anyhow?? I mean, even if we eliminate ALL CFC/ozone depleting gasses TODAY, FOREVER it will still take fifty to seventy years for the chlroine that is already up there to stop catalyzing the ozone... and I know this much.. but seriously, are we storing this stuff somewhere in a mountain in nevada to keep it from ever bein re released?? does used freon get recycled?

Guest LightningZ

Ok, I was gonna write a post about how good it was to looking forward to getting a Z back in my hands. but let me seam like a do gooder on My first post back.... Ok not only is it enviromentally a no no, but it's a felony to release (and Especially R-12 To bad it's nearly the coldest one) Most all referigerants into the Atmosphere... Oh by the way i'm a certified universal a/c tech but i can help you out or find a parson who can (besides R-12) is like gold to some folk's and will gladly help you unload it just Shoot me a pm :burnout: oh and word to the wise mentioning realease on a forum could mean someone could turn you in anyways if you want i'm in stockton and can try to give you a hand.

Guest LightningZ
Now, I *am* an environmentalist (thats why my sports cars of choice get over 20MPG) but, my understanding is that the freon is there. It has been manufactured, and there really is no way of preventing the chlorine from eventually finding its way into the upper atmosphere....eventually.

(it is the chlorine in the CFCs and the freon, BTW that catalyzes the ozone in the upper atmosphere to bond together into plain old O2 .... 2O3 -->3O2 with the catalytic effect of the chlorine)

Now, that being said, any time I am working on my car's AC i evacuate it.. but when in a boneyard, I figure that if they havent already evacuated these air conditioners, then the refrigerant is going to wind up in the atmosphere when they crush the thing anyhow.....

In other words, in a Junkyard, I am EXTREMELY cavalier and dont giveadamn about it, because its bound to get up there anyhow.

Now, I make this post because I wanted to ask the forum members who may be more informed than I in these regards.. isn't all this refrigreant that mankind has already manufactured bound to wind up up there someday anyhow?? I mean, even if we eliminate ALL CFC/ozone depleting gasses TODAY, FOREVER it will still take fifty to seventy years for the chlroine that is already up there to stop catalyzing the ozone... and I know this much.. but seriously, are we storing this stuff somewhere in a mountain in nevada to keep it from ever bein re released?? does used freon get recycled?

Sorry i should have read further first,most all of it can be recycled unless it's been mixed with another referigerant or also unless it's being phased out (R-12), and we are getting better and better about not letting any escape even R-134 which was the main replacement for R-12 is now being phased out slowly with "Colder" and more Enviro fiendly refer.

Sorry i should have read further first,most all of it can be recycled unless it's been mixed with another referigerant or also unless it's being phased out (R-12), and we are getting better and better about not letting any escape even R-134 which was the main replacement for R-12 is now being phased out slowly with "Colder" and more Enviro fiendly refer.

Yea i rember a while ago me and another kids car had R12 and r teacher gave us 40$ since we were taking out the ac n e ways we sold it lol....

....most all of it can be recycled unless it's been mixed with another referigerant or also unless it's being phased out (R-12), ....

But what is happening to the R12, beyond being "recycled" and re used? I mean, slowly but surely any refrigerant that gets used makes it out somehow, right?

And when I made my comment about my junkyard actions, I merely meant that I hold the yard owners responsible for purging their vehicles, and I always assume it is not problematic to simply cut lines. That being said, I always take PERSONAL precautions... and I say "always" but I cant remember ever actually cutting lines beyond two or three times, AND they were purged already, for the most part.

The last thing I am is apathetic about this, or even "whats this little bit gonna hurt" about it.. but I AM trying to be somewhat realistic. Where, other than the atmosphere, do we dispose of used refrigerant?

Guest LightningZ

No your right some and i mean very little does escape (in the hands of pro's) but by law as a tech or shop you are required to report and take the weight of the amount of "Virgin" refer and the amount that you recover from a system, you are not required to keep track of recycled yet. I being a certified Tech can get hit with a 125k fine for illegal "release"

• 1 year later...

I want to pull my A/C too but need the heater. Are they totally separate or can I pull the unit under the dash alone. Any tricks on procedure to drop it or just start removing..stuff? Just got into restoring my 1st 240. I also want it out so I can pull that fiberglass between A/C and firewall to fix Rust in battery area.