HybridZ

New Toys!!!

lbhsbZ

As proud as I am of my work, I'm not gonna sit here swingin' my dick, My cage is far from perfect compared to what JohnC or others who do this for a living can do. I don't have half the welding or fab experience that he does. I just like my car the way I like it, which is why I spent the money to do it my way....because experience has taught me that nobody, no matter how much you pay them, will do it exactly the way you want it done. I got the cage fitment nailed, but my welds look like crap. I know they are solid only because I watched the puddle through every single one of them...even used a mirror so I could see it properly on some of them, but they're kinda ugly. The last cage I installed was a crappy fit, leaving plenty of room to access the joints and make nice pretty welds....this one was a tight fit, and tough to weld. The mig gun wouldn't even fit in a couple of spots, so I had to break out the stick welder and bend a piece of rod to get to them. I'd be more than happy to build cages for anyone here....I've got a couple local jobs lined up in the next couple weeks to help me ammartize (sp?) the cost of the bender. I learn more tricks on every one I do....but I work out my garage, and for now I'm an amature, and I don't want to take business away from the real fabricators out there.

The tig would have been the weapon of choice, had I been able to get perfect fitup on all of the fishmouth joints, but the Harbor Freight tubing notcher (and possibly my notching skills) were slightly less than accurate, leaving me with some gaps to fill. Filling gaps with a Tig sucks. Filling gaps with a MIG is easy. I chose the MIG. Towards the end of the job, the joints got much better as I modified the notcher and got more practice with it.

thanks for the hints on the notcher your right it made it way easier and i see what you mean about them being flimsy

Yeah, I was using mine the other night (another project) broke a 2 teeth of a Starrett hole saw and I was using a big old Black and Decker 10 amp 400 RPM drill motor....the hole saw hooked in, damn near broke my arm and bend the hell out of the notcher mounting bracket. It used to sit horizontally on my bench, now it sits vertically. Time to make a new one.

I never got a call from you on the Autopower you bought from me....am I to assume that you made it work?