HybridZ

Going V8 now!

Been looking at the Chevy crate engines and the top 383 with 425 hp looks pretty close to what we might want and it comes with a warranty. I talked to the parts mgr and he said they can change cams and rockers and get an additional 45 hp for me if I want them to do that and still retain the warranty.

Ive been searching and reading up on as many engine combos as there are on here, and just cant pass up buying a crate engine with a warranty.

But......has anyone ever bought a crate engine (not one of the Chevrolet dealer crate ones) off Ebay? I see several companies on there that sell them with alot of pos feedback on them.

The ol 3.2 stroker is going in a 400lb lighter 70z.

Most eBay feedback is USELESS... i.e. the engine fails after feedback is left... no neg can be left... if it fails after 90 days... no feedback can be left.

Make SURE... the seller has either a "no questions asked" warranty and/or they don't care what car the motor goes in.

You're prbably going to get screwed no matter what you do... that's business in the USA.

Probably why im gonna go with the ZZ383 stroker 425 hp GM crate engine from the dealer. I talked withthem today and they can pump it up to 500 hp (I thought it was a 45 hp boost with cam change, but apparantly they do a few more tricks to get to 500) and still retain the factory warranty. I know they do stand behind the warranty and since my buddy can warranty it no questions if it does blow up gives me some piece of mind. Not bad for 5K with my discount.

Ebay always looks good, but your exactly right about feedback left right away after problems could occur.

^^^ IF you feel safe...that's the route I'd take. There's no safer feeling than having a friend in the business watching out for you... until they themselves are blocked by "the boss". ;)

Hey Brian its Kevin.

So you guys are tossing out the stroker! I'm now looking to get another Z to put a V8 in. My WRX just ain't fast enough for how much money I'm throwing at it, plus I love Z's and I want another project car.

The 383 w/ 500hp sounds extremely tempting for $5k and a warranty. Now figure out what u guys want to do for tranny....t5 or a t56...i vote t56.

Good luck with the build!

-Kevin

hahahaha. That would be too funny. Mine IS black...but not for sale. I was looking to get a Z on top of keeping my wrx. What year WRX is he looking to get? And if he is looking to get something within the WRX range....tell him to get a used EVO VIII or maybe even an EVO IX. Those cars are nasty when modded correctly and VERY reliable. They also hold their own pretty good at the track. If I could do it over again, I would have bought an EVO instead of the WRX because they respond to mods a lot better.

Here is a link to a thread I started. the first pics are of my WRX, they can look pretty clean if you ask me....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119598

He was going to get a new one. Doesnt look like its gonna happen though. He already has his 2nd R1 Yamaha, his Datsun and can drive my Z06 or other cars anytime he wants, so he really doesnt need another car. Hell we have 8 cars already. Kids I tell ya....go figure!

hahahaha....I definitely know. How's the new R1? I've watched the vids on ur website....the new bike sounds nice. Where does darius live in comparison to your house? Pretty close i assume....just hurry up and put that 383 into the Z and go ravage some cars.

Darius is close by us in Walnut Creek. He stops by our house now and then to hang out but I havnt seen him in a while as hes always out riding or making videos and such. I think hes in Australia now promoting his new servinitup he has started there also. Im still trying to get over and see his Z car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest palermo002

Have you ever checked out Blueprint Engines. I recently put one in my truck and it runs awsome. Topped it off with a demon, after failure with a holley, but thats a different topic, and it runs extremely strong. Fair prices too.

I am running the ZZ383 motor as it came no mods.. i started with a victor jr. intake adn tossed that one for the GM single plane they recomend and got 50 hp more at the wheels from that alone . i also only have 1/58 block hugger headers .. on the dyno i have 370 at the wheels and i also run NOS.. that gave me 470 hp at the wheels .. so far the motor is great a little noisy on the valve train with the zero lash they recomend.. about 5000 miles on it so far and about 4 mos to go on the warranty .. stong motor for $5,400 out the door..