HybridZ

intercooler mounting

datman

Guest 280ZForce

uh yeah, I highly doubt those cores are split, which means not good for all the air coming into it.

If you are going to go with a one-sided intercooler, you want a vertical flow core w/ the end tanks on top and bottom like mine and 240hoke (hehe, I actually got him to change over to the dark side)...

IMG_1036a.jpg

uh yeah, I highly doubt those cores are split, which means not good for all the air coming into it.

If you are going to go with a one-sided intercooler, you want a vertical flow core w/ the end tanks on top and bottom like mine and 240hoke (hehe, I actually got him to change over to the dark side)...

IMG_1036a.jpg

Does that make Corky Bell Darth Vader? Ok. I'll take BoBa Fett. It would be nice to have one of those jet packs.

If that intercooler isnt split you really do need to send it back or have somebody split them (but wouldnt reccomend that). Air follows the path of least resistence so its just going to flow through the end take and bypass the core completely.

Yup Austin nailed it....the air is going to flow into the IC and flow right out of the outlet without even going through the intercooler core.

Another recommendation is to take the intercooler to a good aluminum welder, seal-up the outlet and weld a new outlet and hole saw a 3" hole (or what ever the neck size is) on the opposing end tank.

You should have asked before pulling the trigger on it but good luck!

Yasin

Before you bang your head on the wall, check the end tank. Try and pass a piece of stiff wire from inlet to outlet on the one end. Or look in there with a flash light. It's possible that there is a cast partition in the middle of the end tank.

Ok I looked inside and the cores are split, there is a divide half way between the inlet and the outlet so the air will have to pass all the way through and back. Here are the specs

The THS Type 14 Intercooler is a large sized intercooler that has the inlet and outlet situated at the same end. This makes it easier to fit to cars that may have a standard side mount intercooler. It has a core size of 600x300x76mm.

Specifications

Volume 13680cm2

Core size = 600 x 300 x 76 mm

Inlet/Outlet diameter = 76mm (approx 3")

Core construction = Plate and Bar

Length between Inlet/Outlet and opposite tank = 790mm

Distance between inlet outlet pipes = 74mm

Tested to 5 Bar

Cast aluminium end tanks

Suitable for applications up to 650bhp

I agree with 280ZForce. I would get a vertical flow intercooler. Note that air has to travel about 4 feet through narrow passages in your intercooler vs. about 6 inches in the vertical flow. While that will be better for heat transfer, it will be much worse for back pressure, meaning your turbo will have to work hotter and harder to flow the same amount of air as a vertical flow. Also note that the hot air in the first pass from one side to the other will heatsoak the other half of your intercooler so that the return to the outlet will shed much less heat than the first pass.

Guest 280ZForce

I'm mounting my new dual electric fans behind the radiator, between the radiator and the engine. My single electric fan was there previously.

Now as far as your IC goes...I had a similar IC like yours before I got the 1 I have now. Spilt core and what not, I used it for a couple weeks, it works, but when I got the vertical core I noticed my AFRs lean out and I knew I was receiving a lot more air flow and faster. Just something to think about, would want you to do it the right way 1st time around and not have to run into any air flow problems. You want more air, and a more direct flow. You do not want to worry about the air flow getting lost on it's way back around.

Did you seal between the IC and the Rad? around the edges that is? is it better to fill the holes in the rad support panel to force more air through the IC/Rad

Cold air intake....yes I want the filter out of the engine bay if poss.

I don't know one way or the other if sealing the holes in the radiator support is good or not. You might want to search other threads on this. I know someone here has a hood with a raise center with an opening at the rear of the hood. At speed, his temperatures would actually rise because the high pressures in front of the windshield would force air into the engine compartment, slowing air through the radiator.

Also on the IC air cooling, as my car is for road use only surely most of the time spent is a part throttle, this being the case the IC I have will probably be as good as any.

Not true. The wrong intercooler can be very poor for performance. Notice that THS doesn't list a pressure drop for a given flow. Also notice that their type 4 intercooler with the same core dimensions, but twice the charge face is rated the same horsepower.

You should really read a book like Bell's Maximum Boost and you will understand how poor that design is.

Edit. I'll do a quick internal flow calculation for your intercooler. 6" x 3 " x .45 = 8 sqare inches(that's about the flow area of a (edit 3 inch, not 1.5) pipe. That's about the smallest internal flow area I've seen, much smaller than Austin's 'small' ~30 sq. in. intercooler. According to Bell's chart, that's good for about 125 bhp, not 650.

Since you probably can't return it, Maybe you could exchange it for one of their standard crossflow intercoolers( type 3, 4 or 5). You would at least double the flow and horsepower limits.

Here's a couple quotes from Corky Bell's book.

Rule: It is absolutely incorrect to think that "any intercooler is better than no intercooler.

Rule: The single most important aspect of intercooler design is low internal pressure loss.

First look at the charge face. This is the area that the end tank sits on, in your case half the tank since it's has an internal wall in the middle. In your case the charge face is 300mm/2 x 76mm or about 6 inches by 3 inches or 18 square inches. Just look inside the intake port an that's the area you can see. Since just less than half the area is used for internal passages, Bell multiplies this area by .45, that gives you about 8 square inches of internal flow area.