HybridZ

intercooler mounting

datman

Actually worse than the pipe because there's a lot more frictional wall surface area. You can certainly say they falsely advertised the flow rating. Their type 4 intercooler use the same core with no divider and still has the advertised flow rating of 650 bhp. Even if that were true for the the type 4 intercooler, putting on the divided tank will cut the flow and bhp by more than half.

well I did pay through paypal and if the item is not as described I can ask for a refund, I'm a little annoyed about this as this guys has a company selling these things I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Anyway thanks for your help, I'll let you know if I get my money back.

Short tubes and lots of them is the name of the game then!

hopefully this thread will help others in my position

Whoops! Cut out the 1 and 1/2 pipe comparison when you contact them. That would be the radius, not diameter. In any case, 8 square inches is still extremely small and the 125 bhp limit still holds true as well as the fact that they didn't account for the effect of the divided tank.

Good luck with that.

The charge face is not used in the chart since it is just a two dimensional calculation. The chart I refer to has Flow rate in terms of cfm and bhp in the vertical column and Internal Flow Area, not charge face, in the horizontal column. 125 bhp is at the top of the range for low density turbulators. 8 square inches is also optimistic since the percentage of internal flow area looks to be a bit less than 45% (.45) when you look inside the intake port of the intercooler on their website. Hope this helps.

I like the size and dimensions for the requirements you've described, but I won't endorse that product having not tried it myself. Many eBay vendors have vague descriptions that leave out critical information like the one you just bought from. SSAutochrome, XS Power and others have gotten a lot of negative feedback for their turbos, headers and other products. I see that intercooler for $130 on eBay. It certainly looks tempting, but I would get other owner's experiences first.

Ok I looked inside and the cores are split, there is a divide half way between the inlet and the outlet so the air will have to pass all the way through and back. Here are the specs

The THS Type 14 Intercooler is a large sized intercooler that has the inlet and outlet situated at the same end. This makes it easier to fit to cars that may have a standard side mount intercooler. It has a core size of 600x300x76mm.

Specifications

Volume 13680cm2

Core size = 600 x 300 x 76 mm

Inlet/Outlet diameter = 76mm (approx 3")

Core construction = Plate and Bar

Length between Inlet/Outlet and opposite tank = 790mm

Distance between inlet outlet pipes = 74mm

Tested to 5 Bar

Cast aluminium end tanks

Suitable for applications up to 650bhp

Thats good to hear!

Here is the reply from the seller, I am impressed, for once an honest ebay seller.

Hi

I have spoken to our supplier and they tell me the CFM on these intercoolers is 450cfm. Therefore you are correct our listing is incorrect and we will change it to suit. If you do not want the intercooler we will arrange for it to be collected and refund you fully by PayPal,

Please let us know the collection address and a time morning/afternoon that collection is available.

We apologise for the inconvenience

Regards

Ollie

THS

boy am I sad to read this thread...not because of any bad things done, but because I bought not one but 2 ($200 each) of these types from a chinese guy out of a shipping container...:(

really wish someone had brought this up sooner (or maybe I should have searched more) :icon55:

• 2 weeks later...