HybridZ

Subaru Rack & Pinion EV162 shorten outer tie rod ends weld

Is there a safe way to weld the 240Z outer tie rod ends after I've cut and sectioned them?

I've installed a Subaru rack and pinion in my 240Z. I drilled and tapped the Subaru rack ends to accept the Nissan EV162 inner tie rods. The two new 240Z outer tie rod ends thread nicely onto the EV162. The EV162 rod bottoms out in the outer tie rod just before the outer tie rod runs out of threads on the EV162.

When fully adjusted to the maximum "short" position, the wheels are splayed out at about 30 degrees: both of them. There is no toe"in", but a whole lot of toe"out".

I cut 1.125 inches [or so] out of the center of each outer tie rod. The cut corrects the toe out to a point that it falls within the range of adjustibility. I intended to weld the sectioned outer tie rods ends together, making a solid, but shorter outer tie rod.

Can this piece be safely welded? If so, what are the precautions. If not, how did others that did this swap deal with toe in adjustment. My brother [the mining engineer Ford guy] has convinced me that to weld these two suspension parts is akin to throwing matches into empy gas tanks. It been done, but is dangerous.

If I weld these two pieces together, will I be giving my life insurance reason to cancel my policy? I don't have a death wish, but there must be way to resolve this problem. Any help?

Well it depends on how good you are as a welder, I guess. The thing I would look at is if you can weld them together and weld like a sleeve around the welded area. I have been trying to work a C5's steering rack with powersteering pump into mine but I am also going wide body IMSA so I can use the more outward wheel stance. If enough people are interested in going power steering than I might be able to get a shop to build some special parts for one type of steering rack.