HybridZ

Would this qualify as "while I'm at it?"

Poundz9oh9

Ok, so I go to take my dash out so that I can install a full dash cover. I was already planning on pulling the R200 out to freshen up the LSD (add clutches, do the bearings and seals), while the dash glue is drying, but as I went to unplug all the connectors under the dash on the passenger side, I had some problems getting the main power wires disconnected. It seemed like the plastic had gotten hot and fused the two clips together. Besides that, the same wires felt awefully brittle and even had a couple "hotspots" where the insulation was melted in a couple spots. Thank god that didn't cause a fire.

Anyway, so while I have the dash out and finding the wires in their present condition, I decided that a rewire was in order. I'm going to order an 18 circuit kit (haven't decided which brand yet) and redo the whole car.

So, that being said, would this be "while I'm at it" or just unforseen required maintence???

Cliffnotes: Took dash out. Found bad wires. Rewire, or just fix bad wires?

Ok, so I go to take my dash out so that I can install a full dash cover. I was already planning on pulling the R200 out to freshen up the LSD (add clutches, do the bearings and seals), while the dash glue is drying, but as I went to unplug all the connectors under the dash on the passenger side, I had some problems getting the main power wires disconnected. It seemed like the plastic had gotten hot and fused the two clips together. Besides that, the same wires felt awefully brittle and even had a couple "hotspots" where the insulation was melted in a couple spots. Thank god that didn't cause a fire.

Anyway, so while I have the dash out and finding the wires in their present condition, I decided that a rewire was in order. I'm going to order an 18 circuit kit (haven't decided which brand yet) and redo the whole car.

So, that being said, would this be "while I'm at it" or just unforseen required maintence???

Cliffnotes: Took dash out. Found bad wires. Rewire, or just fix bad wires?

I would consider it a "while I am at it"

Once question for you:

Why did you need to pull the dash to install a full dash cover?

Hey Marcus,

I thought you wanted to sell the car lol! I think you're an addict, man, you just can't stop!! If the interior is the way you like it, you could try to replace just the offending wires. However, those inexpensive wiring harnesses from the rodder magazines and ebay are awfully tempting, no? There's EZ, Its-a-snap, and a few others....

...so which harness are going to purchase? ;)

Davy

Well, it's still for sale as I work on it. I guess I'm waiting for the light bulb to once again come on for me to fall in love with it again before it actually sells. Why do you think I'm shooting so high on the price :)

Either way, I think I'm gonna go for the rewire considering the condition of the wires and that it could probably use it anyway. I'm sure I could get it done in a weekend, or, two, or three ;)

I was lookin at a wiring harness on ebay called EZ2Wire (the store name) it's a universal GM 18 circuit for around a hundred and a half. Looks to be a decent kit. I'd post the link, but I'm at work and can't get on ebay here.

Ya know, I've always thought of wiring as a headache, but since I'm running a simple old school run of the mill SBC, there won't be much in the engine compartment, then that just pretty much leaves the lighting and the small amount of misc. odds and ends. I think it would be a bigger hassle unwrapping and pulling apart the stock harness to be honest with you. I mean the wiring is some 36 years old, and it all seemed brittle, it's just that there were 2 BAD wires. Granted they were still operable, I just don't think it would be very safe.

Haven't had a need for vendor support yet, since the thing is nicely labeled, and comes with pretty decent instructions (including how to wire up various types of switches)

Usually have the harness within a week of ordering

Nope, but I just pick up a roll of black 14GA wire and run my own grounds; designate a few ground points on the car and route accordingly. IMO, as long as you use a good clean grounding point, the entire car can be a ground--but I usually try to keep putting new holes to a minimum

One of their products I haven't tried yet is the all black wire harness--all wires are still labeled, but you don't have the technicolor spaghetti look.

I think I still have the instruction sheet from the last kit I used; I'll see if I can find it and scan it for y'all so you can see what they have to offer

I consider this as not "while I'm at it" kind of thing. Its a safety and preventative maintainence type of thing.

The wires are probably getting hot due to age and corrosion. The corrosion causes resistance which causes heat.

I vote on replacing the harness, But might want to keep the connectors. Its best to do this right the first time.