HybridZ

Broken 240z door/ignition locks

Hey, I just picked up another Z and the locks on both doors don't 'lock', and I dont have a door/ignition key.

The previous owner installed a new ignition key in the cassete dash, with a small, housekey looking key, because the standard ignition slot is completely defiled due to attempted theft.

Due to this, I'm also unable to lock my hatch- Basically, to get into my car, I need to crawl in through my rear hatch, and open the door from the inside.

I'm wondering, which would be the best route to take in fixing this problem? Would I simply order new locks from somewhere (I'm looking at the 'black dragon' Z catalogue) Or should I try a local locksmith?

Any opinions would be very appreciated!!

When I first got my 280zx the key was broken off in the ignition I called around and found a lock smith that would remove and replace the key for 55 bucks. For new keyed sets most places charge way more, call around get it done and then have them make a couple of spares. my 1 1/2 cents.

I would definately go to a locksmith. When I got my Z, I had the key for the ignition, but not for the locks. I removed to locks and took them to the locksmith and said "I want this key (ignition key) to open these locks." He called me the next day, problem solved. I got 3 original locks rekeyed for the price of 1 new lock cylinder.

Hey, I just picked up another Z and the locks on both doors don't 'lock', and I dont have a door/ignition key.

The previous owner installed a new ignition key in the cassete dash, with a small, housekey looking key, because the standard ignition slot is completely defiled due to attempted theft.

Due to this, I'm also unable to lock my hatch- Basically, to get into my car, I need to crawl in through my rear hatch, and open the door from the inside.

I'm wondering, which would be the best route to take in fixing this problem? Would I simply order new locks from somewhere (I'm looking at the 'black dragon' Z catalogue) Or should I try a local locksmith?

Any opinions would be very appreciated!!

Before sending for the locksmith, etc., take the door panel off and check the lock. May just need oiling/grease. My recently purchased '78, was apparently cleaned inside the door during the resto job but nobody brothered to grease the lock and window mechanisms. After spraying with

lubricant and then adding grease, they both lock and open from the outside.