HybridZ

VG30E to VQ30DE engine swap

Guest walton6467

Guest walton6467

Please don't flame me. I'm a new member. I've searched the posts and can't find what I'm looking for. I have a stock 88 z31 that needs an engine rebuild. This is my wife's daily driver road car. I'm not looking to race, just want to be able to zip in and out of traffic and look impressive doing it. I also have a wrecked 95 Maxima with the VQ30DE. My plan was to rebuild a VG30E for the Z, however if the VQ30DE will fit with few mods, I can do that without a rebuild.

I know oil pan, intake, etc will have to be changed. My question is will my VG30E oil pan, intake, engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, etc bolt up to the VQ30DE block?

Again, not building something to scare the neighbors, just looking for the less stressful (less expensive) way to keep wifey's daily driver on the road. :icon6:

You'd have to get a 350Z 6-speed for the transmission I believe. I'm pretty sure that one bolts right up to the VQ however I know for sure that the VG transmission will not. Also nothing on the VG will swap over to the VQ that I know of, they're totally different.

Doing the mounts and such should be a pretty simple task however I think the biggest issue will just be wiring everything. The VQ runs on an OBDII system, which could cause some headaches.

The cheapest and easiest way to get it going again would be to get another VG30E. They can be found in salvage yards for very cheap. The VQ would definitely be more fun than the VG but you will definitely have to put some work into getting it in there.

It sure will "FIT", but not without a certain amount off work.

Don't think of it as a weekend project.

You are starting with the right base though, since the FWD casting has better mounting point alignment than the RWD ones.

Then you have to source some RWD intake & exhaust manifolds... probably quite a bit of wiring involved too, since technology has came a long way since the 80's.

You should take a look at 240SX forums, as it's the new cheap way to make power with these cars, since Nissan puts it in just about every car they make and it's 200 something Hp's N/A...

Guest walton6467

Sweet! Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I need to just re-build the VG. Anyone got a front clip for a Maxima? I may as well rebuild it. LOL

How much are you willing to pay for the clip? I could check in one of the salvage auctions I'm a member at and if something good come up, we could arange for you to pay the auction and I'd have it shipped straight to your place. I'll check in the auctions near you, so you can either, pick-up or have it delivered for cheap...

Sweet! Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I need to just re-build the VG. Anyone got a front clip for a Maxima? I may as well rebuild it. LOL

I wouldn't even mess with a clip. You could get a long block from a Maxima and just swap everything from your Z VG to the Maxima VG and it would drop right in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

1987 300ZX 5sp non turbo.id like some info from you guys....wanting to put an 02 xterra VG33ER supercharger on my motor,without any change to the electronics in my vehicle...its completely stock no modifications except to move the airbox to the bottom of the chin..whats the differences in cams,crank, timing, heads and assemblies.also whats the difference in the supercharger from a standard and automatic????the one i have is from an auto but i own a five speed,,not interested in changing that....can i just bolt the thing on and change a couple of plugs???hurtin for info here guys....people at nissan just looked at me like i was nuts....my eventual plan is a lotmore complicated but this is the thing i have to start with.....thanks