HybridZ

would this intercooler work???

typhoone

i was looking online for an intercooler, and i was just wondering if either one of these would work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R-SPEC-Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-JZA80-MKIV-INTERCOOLER-KIT_W0QQitemZ180065618804QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREDDY-3-ROW-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MKIV-FMIC-INTERCOOLER-HKS_W0QQitemZ170091128272QQcategoryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i know the next thing i want to do to my Z is intercool it so i can up the boost, so just trying to find one. thanks in advance.

-typhoone

IMO those cores seem pretty high. Its been said several times that these Chiwain cores are just as good. I also have an 87 z31t and I plan on getting a treadstone core like 240hoke just picked up to IC it. It has both inlets on the same side and from my reading on z31.com this is more favorable for space reasons. I say get a treadstone core like Hokes and you will be good. Oh and as for that piping that comes with that first core, its probably junk. Hoke picked some up and had problems trying to weld it.

You pay for the name. Just remember that... Find a shop that makes intercoolers and youll get the same quality for $300 less then youd pay for a brand name intercooler... Some things you get from big names for quality and others you can find the same quality for much lower price. Just my opinion

what deminsions would fit? Can you give me a direct link? i am on treadstone's site but i don't know the specs for it, and i don't have the ability to take off the front of my Z for a while now. i know i am annoying, but i don't want to screw this up.

From what I can tell, Modified_85 on this page http://www.redz31.com/turbofaq/intercoolers.html has a Treadstone TRV185. Flow wise, that TRV185 should be more than enough as it will support upwards of 720 hp. That up/down style is supposed to be the most efficient, and it makes sense, so that would definitely be the way to go if at all possible.

I agree. Those end-tanks are quite nice. I am yet to see side-by-side flow figures for China intercoolers that indicate they are anything other than cheap crap? Have I missed something? They make things as cheaply as possible, do you really think they perform decent quality control (at all, or ) on the core row entries/exits when endtanks get welded over them and you can't really see them?

What is that saying:

1. Fast

2. Cheap

3. Not made in China.

Pick any two.

Dave

Post 18 http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=747024#post747024

There was a thread where a member did a pressure drop test on the Chinese cores, same pressure drop as a name brand unit. You can go ahead any pay a grand for a name brand core if its lets you sleep better at night. But until I see some dyno numbers saying that dont work just as well or near as well, I will still use them.

Sparks,

That thread you linked to is not proof. And I would need to see some more details to be convinced. I am rather skeptical at heart I suppose. But some questions that arise are:

Pressure drop at what flow rate? A usable operating range?

I'm sure a 3" pipe and a 1" pipe have almost identical pressure drops at 0.01CFM, but so what?

Dave

I was not saying it was end all proof, just saying that guy seems to be making some great power with his Chinese core. I will dig up the thread about the pressure drop, im pretty sure it was on this board, maybe on another one I frequent, but I will get it for you. I really wish someone would do some testing to end this debate.

Post 18 http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=747024#post747024

There was a thread where a member did a pressure drop test on the Chinese cores, same pressure drop as a name brand unit. You can go ahead any pay a grand for a name brand core if its lets you sleep better at night. But until I see some dyno numbers saying that dont work just as well or near as well, I will still use them.

That's the thing, those Treadstone aftercoolers aren't a grand, they're priced very well. You can spend around 100-200 or so for a Chinese aftercooler, 200-400 for the Treadstone unit.... that's marginal difference for a very nice aftercooler.