HybridZ

High Mileage Motor Buildup

trwebb26

Last year I bought an old 83' ZXT. I found out when I got it home that it has 280K miles on the motor...:shock:

I had plans to get it built, but the high miles make me worried. Is a motor with fewer miles a better candidate for a rebuild? In other words - should I look for another motor to sink 3K into?

i'm actually swapping my msns-e'd l28et with 287k miles on it into my 240z this coming week, no modification beyond a new rear main seal. It pulls like a mofo in my 280, and that's with an auto tranny. I'm planning on running about 12psi once my IC is in. go for it, especially if you're rebuilding.

I don't know how many miles my N42 L28 had on it when I pulled it but it still ran strong. (It had at the very least 144k but probably had 244 or even 344k on it)

From what I've read the Nissan N42 and F54 blocks both have very high nickel content and it's very rare to have excessively worn cyl walls.

The F54 has thinner walls so you can't bore it out as much (so I've read here) but if you do find bore wear even the F54 walls have sufficient thickness to allow oversize boring.

I had an engine with 180,000 with barely anything measurable for wear with a dial bore guage. It checked out with the book I bought. I think it was "How to Rebuild Nissan Engines."

If you don't have a guage I would take it to a machine shop and have it checked. I would make sure the bore taper up/down the cylinder and out of round is not to big or your rebuild will not last. It doesn't cost a whole lot more to have the block bored, but I would also find a shop that could do torque plate honing as well if it needed an overbore.

The shop around here told me that they don't have a torque plate for a straight six... they mostly deal with v8s. I guess I should look for a different shop to do the work? Does anybody near central illinois know of a decent engine builder that would tackle an F54?