HybridZ

digital dash not working

typhoone

okay, when I got my car I took a test drive in it and the dash was working flawlessly. we'll, that was about a month ago because I had to get some money up so I could get it insured and registered and all that fun stuff. well, I got that done finally and I decicded to go for a drive. it accelerates great, boost spikes a little bit, but it is awesome. the only real problem is the fact that I have NO idea what speed I was going the entire time because the dash isn't working. the basic lights that always come on were fine, the aftermarket boost and oil pressure gauges were perfect....but the dash wouldn't budge. any idea what I can do to fix this problem??? I love this car but I can't use it as a daily driver if I don't know my speed or anything like that. lol. also, any idea how to fix the boost spike. I have it set at 9 but it jumps to 11.

thanks for any and all help.

Typhoone

There's a box under the dash, can't remember what it says (power supply ?). Anyway it is for the dash. Mine had a bad solder joint on atleast one connection. It was pretty obvious just by looking at it once I opened it. I resoldered the ugly ones and it worked fine till I sold it 2 years later.

Yup, you got it. Being a manual controller they tend to cause surge like that when the signal lines are somewhat long. Being in the engine bay they should be relatively short.

Is your signal coming from the intake manifold or the compressor housing?

I ran an MBC I made on my Z31, I also used it on my 7M before that. Worked fine. I did have to create a small leak between the outlet of the mbc and the wastegate. I used an aquarium bleeder, could poke a small hole in the vacuum line too. Without it, it would start out fine and the boost would drop. If you are trying to run 11 psi on a 4 psi wg (in my case).The 11 psi coming out of the mbc will hang the wg open to long if the pressure is trapped in the line.