HybridZ

Turboing the N/A L28 - Intake manifolds?

JDMFairladyZX

hey guys, Im about to buy stock L28ET turbo, turbo manifold, turbo injectors, oil pan, and oil lines all in hopes to turbo my N/A motor. Now the person who is selling me all this is also selling a turbo intake manifold. Will I need the turbo intake manifold or am i better using my N/A one? Thanks guys,

P.S anyone have a turbo ECU and wiring harness for sale by any chance? Thanks!

I would recommend the turbo manifold. I have an extra cause I bought the turbo one originally then went with an N42 Non-EGR manifold. I'd be willing to let that other one go for a good price.

Turbo conversion coming along smooth. I'll get some pics up soon.

I would recommend the turbo manifold. I have an extra cause I bought the turbo one originally then went with an N42 Non-EGR manifold. I'd be willing to let that other one go for a good price.

Turbo conversion coming along smooth. I'll get some pics up soon.

Are you turboing your N/A motor or swapping in a complete turbo motor? Oh and im getting the turbo manifold, im looking for a Turbo ECU and wiring harness; Ill be needing them for turboing the N/A L28E correct?

I'm turboing my N/A motor. Well i'm staying with the N/A ecu and harness for now cause I only plan to run 8 to 9 pounds of boost. I'll most likely go back and run a megasquirt set up in the future. So unless you plan to run more than 10 pounds I wouldn't worry about the ecu. What I did instead was bought the 300ZXT injectors, high pressure ful pump, and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

JDM,

If money is not a problem i would go ahead and start with Megasquirt instead of the stock ecu. Price for the uncut harness and ecu would probably be around $150-$250 so if your willing to spend a little more you could get megasquirt and boost more and have alot more tuning options. The stock ecu and harness will work but if you want to upgrade things like Turbo, injectors, methanol, etc in the future you cant do it with the stock ecu. I have a friend that went with the stock ecu (paid too much) and 2 months later ended up buying megasquirt and wished he had saved his money and started with megasquirt from the beginning.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I could use any help I get :)

-yep money is a major issue, that is why i am going ahead and turboing my N/A motor because i couldnt afford to buy a L28ET and have it shipped too, Also I am getting a good deal on the turbo components I have listed in my first post.

-I had no idea i could run my stock ECU with boost! thanks for that guys! Oh also i am not planning on running anything but the stock T3's wastegate's 7 or 8psi so I should be fine with the stock ECU then? Oh and are all the parts I listed above is everything i need to do the conversion correct? Im a full time student and my spring break is about to end in 4 days so i want to hopefully do everything and finish over the weekend!

- oh and heres a question I really wanted to know about: When I turbo my NA with its stock ECU is there anyway I can get a tune? I know its gonna have a few quirks just like any NA engine that gets boosted. Do I have to live with the few problems itll have until i get MS and get that tuned?

Sorry for all the noob questions guys but I want to do this right! this is my first major work on my Z that im gonna do since ive had it.

Ok new dilmema, the intake tract to the TB: on the NA its angled differently and theres the Air flow sensor on it too (i think thats what it is, its the baffled box.) So does this mean i cant use the stock turbo J pipe? What will i have to use to get the boosted air ito the TB? Thanks!

*I did a search but all that i got were already turbo swapped cars, no N/A to turbo conversions.