HybridZ

Fan CFM needed to cool LS1

Hi,

What fan CFM is needed to cool a LS1 in my 76 280? I'll be using a 19x26 aluminum 3" thick 2 core Northern rad. Unfortunately, the fin area isn't wide enough (side tank style) to use the F-body duals. I've read about the Taurus two speed but don't like the high amperage draw. I want the fan to trigger from the PCM and from the trinary switch on the Vintage Air. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Martin

Hi,

What fan CFM is needed to cool a LS1 in my 76 280? I'll be using a 19x26 aluminum 3" thick 2 core Northern rad. Unfortunately, the fin area isn't wide enough (side tank style) to use the F-body duals. I've read about the Taurus two speed but don't like the high amperage draw. I want the fan to trigger from the PCM and from the trinary switch on the Vintage Air. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Martin

The Taurus fan is definitely the most bang for the buck; and is probably the best solution regardless of the cost. There isn't a problem using your PCM or trinary switch on your Vintage Air to engage the fan, just make sure to use these signals to power your relays. You'll want to use two relays to handle the load, especially when it first starts up.

Regardless of what fan you decide on, you should still use a relay instead of powering the fan directly.