HybridZ

biggest wheels

I understand, but when you added spring information, the first thing I think about is "he must be asking about spring clearance and not fender clearance". Lock to lock issues will be in using a taller tire at that width as it may rub on the front lip during a turn if the tires are over 25" tall. My 25.6" tires did rub the very front of the lip (S30)in a turn, but no where else.

Personally, I only deal with the value for backspacing. I convert the offset to backspacing, and go from there. I've seen some wheels with lip differences that make the backspacing dimension more important than the offset, and for me, backspacing is an absolute value without the calculations (and chances for error) needed when using offset (especially when you're looking for that last 3 or 4 mm next to the strut).

okay thanks for all your help man. im using an offset calculater. so with the 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset it says i will lose 14mm of backspacing from the strout housing and wheel. with the 18x8.5 with a 15mm i will gain 6mm from my strout housing and wheel. and these numbers are coming from the wheels i currently have. now when i add in my 2inch adapters. which will it affect. will it increase the space between the strout and wheel? or will i lose space between the strout and wheel?

If you run a 30mm offset you will have to run spacers. I run a 42mm offset and I have to run the Modern Motorsports spacers to use my 17x7's.

Someday when I grow up I want to run something like a 10" tire in the rear, sure would be nice for more rubber and I think it would look better! At this point though I just want my car back on the road so new wheels arent't in the budget at this point!

Guy

I understand, but when you added spring information, the first thing I think about is "he must be asking about spring clearance and not fender clearance". Lock to lock issues will be in using a taller tire at that width as it may rub on the front lip during a turn if the tires are over 25" tall. My 25.6" tires did rub the very front of the lip (S30)in a turn, but no where else.

First off my apologizes to the original poster of this thread sorry to thread jack but i dont want to waste making a new thread for a few quick questions for Blue...So If i run 16x10s with a 4"BS (-25.4mm offset and will have the same backspacing as my 15x8s 0offsets which have 205/55/15s, which clear the strut and have no fender or spring rubbing) all around with say 225/50/16 tires I wont have any rub issues up front? Also the wheels will stick out of my fenders a bit wont they? lol thanks again dude, im really excited to get these wheels:-D

I've already answered this via PM, but for those out there new to wheels and their dimensions (and this is nothing new to most car guys) is the considerations in using backspace and offset in the same context. An advertised wheel width of 10" is the dimension inside the rim lips. The backspacing of a wheel is a dimension for the outside of the rim lips. Thus we are talking about two very different relationships due to the typical lip width of 1/2" per side. Because of this, an advertised 10" wheel with an offset of -1" (-25.4 mm) will have a backspacing of 4.5" rather than 4". I know this may be obvious, but many times I talk to folks about wheels, and they don't consider this when wanting to get that last 1/4" of clearance between the strut and the wheel. So when talking about wheel widths, be sure to consider whether its "advertised", or actual outside-to-outside widths.