HybridZ

Fuel pump for SBC

z_cars_rule

Hey i am currently gathering all the parts i need on my swap before i start.

One thing I am not sure about is the fuel setup. I will be running a mild 350 SBC with something around about the 600-750 range holley carb.

Now what are most of you V8 guys doing for fuel pumps? I have just had a brand new stock replacement elec pump put in my 260Z, but i am guessing this would not be up to the task.

Do most of you go with mechanical pumps or electrics, and what pumps do you recomend?

My max power I can see this motor EVER putting out in this car is 400rwhp, currently aiming for 300rwhp.

Thanks for any help.

Mechanical pumps seem to interfere with the mounts & engine placement, but I suppose it depends on how your V8 is mounted. The majority of the SBC V8Z members have the JTR setup which requires an electric pump--about 7-9 lbs of fuel pressure is needed--run a regulator & gauge too. Some have used the Holley blue pumps but complain of the noise. You know, there are a number of great pumps on the market right now and it's really your choice. Summit Racing sells a slew of them and so does ebay. I'm sure in OZ you can get whatever you need :D Searching the forum here and the Chevy forum should give you more complete answers.

Davy

thanks for the speedy response.

I was curious about the mechanical pump interfering with the mounts, so looks like it will be electric.

Noise is not that much of an issue for me, as it will only be a weekend/when i feel like it car.

And yeah down here in Oz its easy to get stuff like holley blues etc.

Thanks once again.

Mallory pumps have a good reputation for being quiet and reliable. I have only read positive posts about the Mallory pumps, which is more than I can say for the Holley pumps. A Mallory Comp 110 pump should feed 400 crank HP and is internally regulated. That means you don't have to run a regulator or return (but may still want to).

You may want to nail down your HP goals more accurately. I think there will be a big difference between fuel systems for 300 rwhp and 400 rwhp. Sort of a knee in the curve area. I had a very hard time getting definitive information about sizing fuel systems. Seems like everybody says something different.

I have a crate motor that is rated at 440 crank HP, but should see over 500 HP with some mods. I am in the process of installing a Mallory Comp 140 pump and a Mallory return style regulator. A good bit more money but using a return style regulator is suppose to be a superior set up and will make your pump live longer. I am upgrading my fuel lines since the stock feed and return are too small for 450 crank HP. I bought 3/8 inch hard lines but kind of wish I had 1/2 lines. Extra peace of mind. I did mod the 240 tank to have a 1/2 pick up tube an 3/8 return fitting.

I would rather pay the extra and get a pump that is bigger than i need, than getting the pump that 'should' cover my needs, which results in leaning out.

At this stage I would say it looks like I am going elec pump, 1/2in feed 3/8 return like you have your tank, and run a regulator.

I cant see me being too far off 300-350rwhp. I wont bother with more than that in this car, I will get myself a nice 2 seater S30 to build into a weapon if I want anymore than that.