HybridZ

Flux VS. Gas

Forces

I recently purchased a Craftsman 110 MIG gas/gasless welder. It came with a spool of flux to get you started, which was helpful, in a way. After putting down a few beads, I hooked it up to my buddy’s gas cylinder (75% argon, 25% CO2). The welds were infinitely better. No spatter, better penetration, and less popping to keep the gun steady, not to mention that you didn't have to wire wheel or grind the welds afterwards. The only thing that made it more difficult was that the power setting was more sensitive. Thinner metals would burn through with the argon, where the flux would not.

How do you determine the right setting/ WFS with gas vs. flux with different gauge metal?

hey this is what i weld every stinking day lol :

http://www.dayton-welding.com/skinner

Now, argon will make your wire run hotter, its good for flat welds and body work because its has better penetration in a shorter amount of time. Also if its "too" hot turn your welder down a hair and turn the wire feed up a hair. Now running straight c02 will make your puddle freeze quicker its also better for overhead welding. I run straight c02 as does everyone else at dayton welding. however on our cars we run 75Arg. /25 c02. Its easier on our little buzzbox too because we dont have to crank it up hard. if you can try straight c02 and make sure you get rid of that flux core if you are running gas. Thats designed for running with no gas. I recommend a solid mig wire of 0.23 for body work its perfect. Especially on the thin Z car. I just shaved my rear bumper and tack welded 18 gauge sheetmetal over the two side mounts and over the long oval shape off set in the center of the bumper and i welded in plates for the old bumper mounts. looks sick the little mig gun was perfect.