HybridZ

Question about wheel sizing

As some of you may have seen im working on widening the body on my 280z by 3 inches per side and 2 up front.Im not real good with tire and wheel sizing so im wondering if anyone can help me come up with a general idea of what i should look for.I have coilovers on all corners,currently have original 4 bolt hubs and as i said the rear will be 3" wider and front 2".I want a wheel that is going to fill up the wells good and have the offset to bring them out to meet the quarter as they do stock.Basically what i need to know is would it be better to get 5 bolt hubs or stay with 4 and if so where should i look for custom wheels that wont totaly break me.I initially thought that getting the 5 lug conversion would solve my problems as i could mount mustang wheels which are big and wide but then realized that the positive offset was not going to work.Should i still do this and use spacers?should i think about custom made wheels?or does someone know of an existing type of wheel i could use,and im not opposed to getting some custom made lug adapters for whatever pattern needed as im sure that would be less than getting custom wheels.

oe-m-wcr-10-rt-3-x.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9-10-White-Mustang-Cobra-R-Wheels-rims-DEEP-DISH_W0QQitemZ290099337614QQcategoryZ43957QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think a conversion to 5 lug would provide good Mustang wheels like this for CHEAP and still fillout the wheel wells. Even if you had to spring money for spacers, you are money ahead this way. My opinion. You can even buy spacers after you buy the rims and test fit them.

Davy

hmm, picture garbage cans laying down with a layer of rubber bands wrapped around them. Thats about the size :) j/k. 10's in the rear and 8.5's or 9's up front i would think. Its a lot to do with offset aswell since you want the outter lip to fill but not rub, and you dont want your inner lip to rub your suspension or brakes. To spec out the size you need you have to measure from your hub mounting pad to your desired outboard flange or where you want your wheel to end on the outter side of the fender. Offset is measured by subtracting the backspace from your centerline of the rim. Search around for wheel spacing caculators and such, since having the wheel fill the flare propperly is what really 'makes' the flare look good and create functionality. good luck, and your flare fab looks super sick- cant wait to see it finished.

:-) Wow those wheels tickle my fancy bigtime -the stupid mustang logo and powdercoated black..mmmm.Good price too!!

The great thing is that the Mustang logo can be painted over or replaced with a Datsun logo. The wheels come in chrome, powdercoated black, silver, or white. They are a bargain and are staggered too. The only other wheels I would consider would be Sportmax wheels with this same staggered size.

Davy

my car is being widened that same amount, it is a 280zx though, i converted it to 5 stud and got some 18" volk rims second hand off a auction site 12" wide for the rear and 10" wide for the front, if you search this forum it will be there some where

Interesting thread going here.

Now that I finally have my 383 stroker running in my 83 280ZX 2+2 I am looking into what's available to get the power to the pavement, so I'm considering my options for wheels and tires. How did you convert to 5 lug. I assume there are many more wheel options in 5 lug than there is in 4 lug.

DanJ

Yeah, i got all my gear from Ross at Modern Motorsport, with the wheels i got i ended up needing spacers on the back to push the wheels out to match the fronts since i got the wheels second hand and didnt get to chose the offsets.