HybridZ

Starting Issue?

I have a weird starting issue, but I'm not convinced that it's the starter.

When I turn the key, I can hear a click sound from underneath the passenger side of the dash. I can turn the key a bunch of times and all I'll get is the click sound. A lot of the times I won't hear the beeping from the car diagnostics starting up (oh this is a 76 280z btw). Other times I will hear the beeping and the lights will flash like normal. If I turn the key enough times, eventually the starter will try to turn the engine over and then it starts just fine. The starter is not having problems doing its job, it just seems like I have a short somewhere that isn't providing the electricity to the starter.

Any ideas?

I cannot begin to count the number of times I have seen people throw parts at this particular problem only to have it turn out to be dirty battery posts. If you haven't pulled the posts and cleaned them with a wire brush, then you risk getting a whole bunch of advice and will spend a whole bunch of money fixing something you could have fixed in 10 minutes.

Clean the battery posts, even if they look clean. Clean the connections on the other end of the battery cables also. Put the battery on a charger overnight. When those 3 things are done try starting the car again. If it still just clicks, then wedge a screw driver across the two big lugs on the starter solenoid (make sure it is out of gear with the wheels blocked first). If it starts, then start tracing the wires feeding the S terminal on the solenoid. Like said above, could be the ignition switch or any of the other half dozen connectors along that line. If the screw driver fails to start the car, then get your battery load tested (Autozone). If that is OK then it is either your starter or your solenoid.

I second what pop said.... check those battery cables, not just look at em and say yeah they look good, actually remove them and clean them (both ends) I cannot count the posts I've read with this issue, I was thinking the same thing as I read it.

And load test the battery is another really good idea. Some times a battery can hold a charge but under a load, it goes down. Specific gravity test or load test are the only real ways to check a battery. Cheapy specific gravity tester at the discount auto store place is like 3 bucks.

• 2 years later...

So I was searching the forums and I found a post with somebody who had exactly the same problem I did! Wow!! And then I realized it was my own post from a couple years ago! :(

So, this problem has come back. New ignition switch doesn't fix it. I get the solenoid click. Battery cables/connectors are clean and new. New starter relay (yeah, that was a fun item to aquire from the dealer).

I started to trace the little wire that connects to the starter solenoid. It goes to the C-13 plug behind the alternator. From there it goes into the firewall and I can't find it on the other side.

Thoughts?