HybridZ

My LT1 steam tube solution

After the thread about the way to hook up the steam tube on an LT1 and reading all the research Bartman and others dug up I reconfigured mine.

First buy an entire Z28 Camaro then pay attention when you disassemble it.

There is a vented tee fitting on the heater hose assembly. I cut off the GM hose clamps, not a big deal, to free it from the GM heater hose assembly. I used the bent end of the heater hose at the water pump, then attached that to the tee fitting, Then attached the 5/8" heater hose to the other end of the tee. I re-routed the steam tube hose around the water pump heater hose outlet and attached it to the tee. I had to cut off a little of that hose but it lined up very well. I might cut off the GM fitting on the steam hood and run a new hose, but the stock one is in pretty good shape.

steam-t.jpg

so the water pump outlets for the heater core is routed to circulate with the t in the middle or ??? i think it would of been fine with it connected to the lower hose like everyone else has it since the original is connected to the top nipple on the radiator. the height itself of the radiator nipple, is higher then the t itself when you mount the t in the lower hose. meaning it should be safe or shouldnt be no different.

so the water pump outlets for the heater core is routed to circulate with the t in the middle or ??? i think it would of been fine with it connected to the lower hose like everyone else has it since the original is connected to the top nipple on the radiator. the height itself of the radiator nipple, is higher then the t itself when you mount the t in the lower hose. meaning it should be safe or shouldnt be no different.

I'm not sure it really matters either, I'm certainly not saying this is how it should be, just the way I'm doing it. But the 94 Z28 runs it this way after going through the throttle body. JTR says to run it the the upper hose not the lower hose. You guess is as good as mine, but I'm staying as close to stock as I can. I think it looks cleaner this way too and helps run the heater hose around the assessory mount.

I think having the bleeder nipple as high as possible is probably the only real good argument for connecting it the way you have it Deja. After looking at all the diagrams I agree with Piston, it could be hooked up either to the upper or lower hose, except that the higher the connection the better the air will be purged from the system.

I'm half tempted to find one of those F-Body bleeder T-fittings except I hate working with coolant and I'd have to drain part of the system to hook it up.

Wheelman

wheel, heres a pic of my ghetto t!!! save 21bucks...my gues is it shouldnt matter. i shall se when i start driving...

LOL, and I would have saved the $25 I paid for the tee if I had thought of using the one I already had from the donor car.

I really like your solution and I'm going to try and do the same on my install. I think there could be a difference where the steam tube mounts and I would also like to have a bleed valve on my heater hose...which I don't have now.

I really like your solution and I'm going to try and do the same on my install. I think there could be a difference where the steam tube mounts and I would also like to have a bleed valve on my heater hose...which I don't have now.

Glad to be able to give you an idea after all the help you've given me. I'm also going to look at using the heater hard lines the Camaro uses to run along the engine to the firewall, not thrilled running rubber hose that close to the headers. The hard lines can sit right on the frame rail and they have a bracket that could bolt to the fender to hold them in place.