HybridZ

Best 60ft with factory rear suspension: Whats your setup?

Just curious what the best setup out there for launching the S30 with factory rear suspension. I see that both Z-Gad and JnJ are in the 1.3xx second 60ft times. What are those setups? I noticed that both of these cars sit fairly high in the rear. Does that help hook up with the IRS? Spool or LSD?

Justin

As far as hooking off of the line, does it help a lot to have a softer suspension?

Z-Gad is running:

Tokico Lowering springs

Koni Struts set all the way stiff

3.36 R200 LSD

Z31 turbo CV's with Ross's companion flanges

stock 280z stubs.

16x8.5" wheels

MT 26x11.5x16 ET Streets

When you are talking about and comparing 60' times, you do have to be cognizant of the HP that the car is putting down. Cutting a good 60' takes traction and HP. Now, if you ask the guys on here who have gone in the 1.30s, ie, JnJ, Dr Hunt, Z-Gad, Turbo Meister, myself and I apologize if I omitted someone else, you will probably get all different answers on what works for them. The one thing in common is that they are (were) all running automatics and slicks/ET Streets. Of all those Z-cars listed, mine probably had the least HP but I had the C4 IRS and really worked hard on perfecting the launch to make up for the "low" HP.

With both the Z IRS and C4, my focus was on quick rebound and slow compression in the front and the opposite in the rear. This gives quick weight transfer and does not unload the rear tires too soon. Only way to do that is with adjustable shocks and I used F&R Illuminas on the Z and a coilover/adjustable shocks in the rear on the C4. Lots of debate on squat and I will not start that debate again. I looked at squat as weight transfer and took advantage of it. I used to launch the Z with the C4 IRS at 4900 off the t-brake, drag the bumper and cut mid-1.30s. 4900 does not sound like much until you realize I shifted at 5700 :D As for stifness, I ran 180# springs in the rear and on the RX7 with the stock IRS, I run 120# QA1s.

It also depends on whether you are running off a t-brake or footbrake. The t-brake will induce dramatic squat soon as the car moves and the footbrake will load the rear suspension as you are footbraking. Since I footbrake the RX7 I run soft springs. Now understand that is what worked for me. Some guys go to extremes to completely eliminate squat and i guess that also works for them. Ironically, if you are running a manual you have your hands full but I would imagine you set up the suspension as would if you were using a t-brake.

Justin, we are running CARQUEST (Gaberial) gas struts on all for corners.We are using the original springs. When we were using stock haftshafts I loaded the rear of the car with weight until the shafts were perfectly level ,then I measured the srtut travel, or stroke. I then used strut cushions for a 89 chevy Celebrity,in my case two per side, this acts as a stop or limiter. My best 60' with haftshafts is 1.36 and a 5.82 1/8th with a 9.21 @ 153.58 1/4 with Z31 CV axles 1.32. We are using a R200 with a 3.54 gear, stock stubs with a two speed powerglide(1.82 first gear).As for tires we run a 28X9 M/T Slicks .We only have a 3500 convertor and we are foot braking the car. The converter will only go to 2300 - 2500 against the foot brake and we do not have a trans break. I have spent alot of time trying to get the shafts level at launch. I told Jon Phillipps about this several months ago and after adding the cushions his 60' improved by a tenth. Like Scottie said earlyer it helps to have 800 + HP too. If you have any questions give me a call (803)243-2737 . I believe we can get into the 1.2** 60' range on stock stuff ,and hopefully we will do it this coming weekend at PINKS all out at Rockingham Dragway. Jerry :2thumbs:

I still have alot to learn about launching my car especially with the new MT's that I just got.

so far I've managed a 1.61 60' (consistent 1.65's) with an open 3.54 R200, 280zx CV's, 200# springs with autozone struts, with coilovers the car is usually pretty slammed in the rear which probably doesnt help all that much.

Really I just want to get used to these new tires for some 1.5's but I know that my 60's will improve and be much more consistent as soon as I can get a two-step on the car . . .

1.9's on eibach pro-kit, blown rear tokico HP's, 225/60/15 BFG G-force sport street tires, 3.54 open diff r200, stock halfshafts, and a Z32 trans.

this was achieved as a fluke through slipping the clutch pretty bad off the line, it was a cheap datsun truck clutch though, and started slipping all on it's own when i shifted to second, and third... so i don't advise it.

next round of trial and error is 235/60/15 MT E/T Street Radials, a spec stage 3 clutch, and a 3500rpm 2 step launch control. i'd like to throw some illuminas in the back too to help dampen the squat which is rediculously aggressive right now w/ the blown HP's.

i like JNJ's idea on weighing the car down to a level halfshaft orientation then installing a series of bumpstops to that height... i do believe i might have to try that our JNJ. Also if i might ask, what sway bars are ya'll running on that thing... seems like w/ stock springs if it has no sway bars it would be a very loose car.

My best so far is a 1.89 with falken street tires and 1.69 with old dot slicks. I've only launched the slicks 3 times so I'm I can better it. This is with a bone stock suspension.

Question: how much will removing the front sway bar effect 60ft times?

This is a sore subject for me. With my old tires, Bridestone Potenza 205/60HR-15's, I had a best 60ft of 2.090. I upgraded to some 245/45ZR-16 Bridgestone RE750's and I've never been able to achieve better than 2.1. I thought for sure the wider tires would help my 60ft but nooooooooooooo! I've even heated my tires in the burnout pit but that didn't seem to help either. Maybe I need to just roast the tires for a bit longer :confused2

This season I plan on working on my launch and playing with my adjustable struts to see if I can get back to a 2.0 or 1.9.

Garrett, That's what's so frustrating. I thought a 1.9 was a reasonable expectation. Maybe it's in my technique. Typically I don't do a burnout since supposedly it doesn't make a difference with street tires. After I stage, I bring the car up to about 3500rpm then slip the clutch off the line as the third yellow turns on. I used to side-step the clutch but it's too hard on the car. (read twisted drivelines and bent u-joints). :nono: I think the key will be finding the right launch RPM and right clutch slippage.

The car is running better than ever. With a little more practice and a some planned exhaust improvements that JustinOlson is helping me with, I should hit the 11's this season.

BTW, Thanks to Scottie and jnj for a great write-up on how to setup shocks for drag racing a Z. :hail:

I thought for sure the wider tires would help my 60ft

When it comes to performance tires, wider/bigger is not always better. Its the compound that matters. A 295 monster radial street tires is going to have less grip than a 235 or 255 DR or a 26x7 slick. Just ask Garrett and Hoke. MOF, I believe JnJ is only running a 28x7 or 28x8 slick.

Garrett, That's what's so frustrating. I thought a 1.9 was a reasonable expectation. Maybe it's in my technique. Typically I don't do a burnout since supposedly it doesn't make a difference with street tires. After I stage, I bring the car up to about 3500rpm then slip the clutch off the line as the third yellow turns on. I used to side-step the clutch but it's too hard on the car. (read twisted drivelines and bent u-joints). :nono: I think the key will be finding the right launch RPM and right clutch slippage.

The car is running better than ever. With a little more practice and a some planned exhaust improvements that JustinOlson is helping me with, I should hit the 11's this season.

BTW, Thanks to Scottie and jnj for a great write-up on how to setup shocks for drag racing a Z. :hail:

Time for some DR's . . . 1.8 is about the best i've seen from most guys here using street tires.

• 6 months later...