HybridZ

Can't shift while running

Azdyl05

After many years of procastination, I finally bought my Z. I just picked up a decently clean 71 240. I bought it with the intention of tearing it down and starting a 350 swap. However, I wanted to spend the next several months driving the car as is while I collect parts.

Well, last week, I'm driving around and without warning it starts grinding while I shift. Later that day, I barely made it home and it hasn't left the driveway since. The fluid it the clutch cylinder was pretty low so I added to it and it started shifting fine while the car is off. However, when I try starting it, it try's to pull itself forward even though I have the clutch lever depressed. It still started, but then I couldn't even pull it out of 1st gear into neutral.

I assume my clutch springs broke and I need a new clutch, but I also noticed a little bit of fluid leaking around the grommet where my clutch lever "shaft" (sorry, don't know the tech name) goes through the firewall.

Can you guys advise on what is most likely my problem? My biggest dilemna is that I don't want to put much money into the current drivetrain since I will be doing the conversion before long.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Dylan