HybridZ

Oil in strut inserts

What type of oil is supposed to be used in the housing when replacing the strut cartriges? :confused: 30W ect, also I have what appears to be a small overflow hole just below the spring perch where oil can seep out should I seal this off or not? :confused:

Thanks,

David :D

Place a mark on your insert at the height you want oil to go to....put some oil in your tube and dip your strut in as a dipstick. Pull your insert out and see how high your level is ;)

Keep in mind your strut must be kept upright once you start this procedure :rolleyes:

I used synthetic oil, can't recall why at present.

Guest Anonymous

When I installed coilovers recently I called the local Nissan dealer about the oil in the strut tube question. I talked to several people in the parts and service departments before I found one who had even heard of putting oil in the strut tubes. They said that the new struts don't really require the cooling oil but they could get me some for $15.00 a bottle.

I skipped that and just installed motor oil and called it a day.

My understanding of the purpose of this oil is to provide a medium for heat transfer from the insert housing to the strut housing, thus keeping the internals of the strut cooler. An air gap between the two is considered a less efficient transfer of heat than the oil is. I used transmission fluid in mine.

You can adjust your ride with the different weight oil installed. Basicly 15 to 20wt. for stock springs. 20-30wt. for stiffer coils.

You put about 280ml. in each strut(280zx factory service manual calls for 278ml.). You can buy regular motorcycle fork oil. one quart will do all four struts. really expensive fork oil costs about 12 dollars a quart. You can gauge the amount you put in each strut by using a farm syringe like out of Grange Co-Op (farm store)used to give medicine to cattle. 2thumbs.gif

"You can adjust your ride with the different weight oil installed."

??? You playing with rebuilding your own OEM inserts???

I've only put oil in the strut tubes to help the heat dissipate faster and thus keeping the insert cooler overall/longer life etc.......never played with OEM inserts....just wrapped 'em up as fast as I could and junked 'em (hate that old gear/strut oil smell!)

Guest Anonymous

If we are all using oil in the strut tubes as a coolant why not use a real coolant that is rust resistant and disapates heat a lot faster. Is there a problem with anti freeze????????

It seams that you guys are talking about two different things.

If you are replacing the rod with its piston assembly and foot valve, then yes you need to use the correct amount and grade of oil, but if you are just replacing it with a strut insert, then you should fill the housing with coolant before inserting the cartridge to transfer the heat. Dont use oil as it will not transfer heat as well and also if it leaks out the gland nut it will look as if the insert has failed.

Yea Ross I was talking about rebuilding your old strut cartridges.

I guess I misunderstood the question. When I replaced my cartridges I didn't add any oil in my inserts none were needed since the replacements were air charged struts. Hey I guess you can put anything you want in there (maybe peanut butter would be a bit extreem :D ). Just kidding. I planned on normal driving I guess if you were planning autocrossing etc. then I guess so some sort of heat dissapating liquid could be in order!This is just my dos centavos! 2thumbs.gif