HybridZ

R32 Skyline diff

Guest turbo24003

Guest turbo24003

does anyone have any information about this diff. its from a 1993 R32 GTS-T skyline. i can get it for free. is it worth my time? any info about ratio's or what i need to do to swap it in would be awsome. oh its going behind an LS-T56 swap. i have searched but can seem to find anything specific to this diff other than its prolly a r200 short nose. but those seem to be listed for GTR'S........

thanks

If it's from a manual equipped car it has a 4.36 VLSD, swappable to the S13 240SX & either has the (small 6-bolt) triangular shaped output flanges or the round shaped (larger 5-bolt) output flanges...the auto equipped came with a 4.11 VLSD. Yes, both are short nose R200.

Guest turbo24003

its from an auto car so 4.11 it is. as far as swaping to 240sx are you talking flanges ?....im i little lost on what your talking about with that

thanks again

Guest turbo24003

i know what the output flanges are. i just dont know what he's talking about with swaping related to a 240sx. can i swap the output flanges or does some one make an adapter to bolt CV's to the ones that are in it ?

i know what the output flanges are. i just dont know what he's talking about with swaping related to a 240sx. can i swap the output flanges or does some one make an adapter to bolt CV's to the ones that are in it ?

What I'm saying is its the same type R200 as a 240SX (S13) and is a direct swap into those, so you'd have to do the same things to it as you would to use a S13 R200 in a Z. Hope that helps!

Guest turbo24003

so am i looking at doing the same thing swap wise as the early Q45 dif? since thier both short nose r200's im thinking it should be the same. but then can i still use the shortend Q45 shafts? the other ? i have is will the diff hold the 500 plus hp im going to put through it. since its the vlsd it looks like it will have a better chance. any thoughts on that ?

thanks again guys

so am i looking at doing the same thing swap wise as the early Q45 dif? since thier both short nose r200's im thinking it should be the same. but then can i still use the shortend Q45 shafts? the other ? i have is will the diff hold the 500 plus hp im going to put through it. since its the vlsd it looks like it will have a better chance. any thoughts on that ?

thanks again guys

I DON'T like using a VLSD myself...I used to have an R32 GTS-T rear diff with 4.36 gears in my 180SX back in Okinawa. When I finally got to where I was putting down some real power, the VLSD was (IMHO) not safe to push hard & didn't hook up for crap. I upgraded to a Cusco 2-way & haven't regretted it yet! I switched when I was making ~390 rwhp & finally got it up to 522 rwhp after some extensive mods (Full-Race GT3567R hybrid)...the difference was night & day with the 2-way. I'd go for a mechanical clutch type over a viscous anyday...

Guest turbo24003

hmm interseting about the vlsd being not so good. im only going off of what i have read here. the diff is a freebie but its not looking like this will be worth my time. should i just build the long nose r200 i have in it now? with a cusco or similar lsd and cv's. your info is saving me alot of time in the future much appreciated

hmm interseting about the vlsd being not so good. im only going off of what i have read here. the diff is a freebie but its not looking like this will be worth my time. should i just build the long nose r200 i have in it now? with a cusco or similar lsd and cv's. your info is saving me alot of time in the future much appreciated

Don't get me wrong, a VLSD is WAY better than having no LSD, but most people find a clutch type to be more predictable. That being said, I wouldn't turn down a free one, but there are other options out there. Here's one I found recently, not a bad price either....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200089159349&rd=1,1

Guest turbo24003

well i think ill end up selling the skyline diff .anyone intersested? about the lsd you linked me to i havent herd to many good things about the phantom grips i was leaning more trowrds the obx lsd. i have herd a little bad and a little good about them. so im still undecided

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard TERRIBLE things about Phantom Grip LSD set-ups. I'm sure somebody else will chime in about them but from what I understand they are little more than a spring-loaded piece of sh!!!T that goes into a stock open-style differential.