HybridZ

SDS install, no power to pump

sfpar

Hey guys,

I have been in the process of upgrading the z this past winter and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Here is what I did.

t4 turbo upgrade

450cc injectors

SDS fuel only management

Palnet fuel rail

Here is the problem.

I have no power to the fuel pump now. I remember someone saying that disconecting the AFM could cause the pump power to die or related some how. Anyway, does anyone know how to remedy this. The car is 78Z. I am so close I can taste it. ANy help is appreciated.

You should really use the SDS to control the fuel pump relay. For safety reasons if anything. Also, why are you not using the SDS to control spark also? Ignition timing is extremely important on forced induction engines.

If the afm isn't reading airflow, your pump will not run. The best thing is to hook the pump up to the sds. Even if there isn't a wire on the box for it, call or email sds. I'm pretty sure that option is already programmed, so all youmay need to do is add a wire to the harness. You are much better off having SDS control it.

You should really use the SDS to control the fuel pump relay. For safety reasons if anything. Also, why are you not using the SDS to control spark also? Ignition timing is extremely important on forced induction engines.

I agree that the pump should only run while the engine is running. I am working on that and if I can some how integrate that with SDS I will do it. Would have gone Megasquirt fuel and spark if there would have been some support within a 200 mile radius of me but no one really has any experience or any hybrid Z's for that matter in this area. SDS fuel is pretty much plug and play and I can upgrade to the spark after I get a stronghold on the fuel end. I am learning as I go.

If the afm isn't reading airflow, your pump will not run. The best thing is to hook the pump up to the sds. Even if there isn't a wire on the box for it, call or email sds. I'm pretty sure that option is already programmed, so all youmay need to do is add a wire to the harness. You are much better off having SDS control it.

Looks like I need to call the guys in Calgary and find out about that. Regarding the AFM, there seems to be some controversy about the AFM controlling the fuel pump on a 78. I believe your statement is correct regarding 75-77's but not a 78. I'm reading that the 78 is controlled via oil pressure switch and alternator. Of course, I could be wrong.:-D I am waiting on a new FPR to arrive. My stock FPR was spewing fuel after reinstall so time to get a new one. I will then hook up a 12v batt directly to the fuel pump and try to prime/start the vehicle. With all the new upgrades it hasn't been running in over 5 mos.

Well, I have power to the pump and all is well on the fuel delivery BUT, I can't get the car started. Everything powers up as it should, I have fuel, I have spark, the injectors are not opening. I can get them to open by taking the green wire and moving it back and forth on the pos and neg posts of the coil but when cranking, they dont seem to be operating. Any Ideas??? Thanks.