HybridZ

Crazy Idea?

SSflyer

What do you guys think of the idea of hybridizing Zcars as a full time job? I am so tired of working for some other guys company, where good work is never appreciated and financial gains are never shared. I really want to get out of this ratrace and do something I enjoy doing. Based on the overwhelming feedback I'm getting on my Z, I'm starting to think there may be a market for these, or maybe Miatas, or some other small V-8able car. I realize that there are lots of shops already doing this, but I suspect most are top end, show car type work. I'm thinking of a level of cost that the average person could afford, a daily driver type car that turns heads without costing megabucks. Maybe I'm being a Pollyanna, but people are really jazzed by the car I did in my garage with Harbor Freight tools and a plastic sheet spraybooth. Looking back now, I could duplicate the car I did for probably less than 1/2 the cost and maybe 1/5 the time, so do you think there's enough average guys who want a sort-of unique car to sustain a business?

I have also wondered this same idea, however, I have watched as several cars have sold for half or less of what people put into them. My summary thought is that the V8 powered Z car is just not that popular to the regular guy. Most people can appreciate teh work and effort to create these cars but when it comes down to writing a check I think it would be a different story. if you would be interested in tossing around ideas give me a call.

The idea is intriguing, but the business case is difficult.

Most of the people amenable to "checkbook hotrodding" would prefer a high-dollar restorod. Whereas the average guy would feel silly paying anyone for a custom job; he would rather do it himself, even if he is incompetent - because he thinks that paying some one else somehow cheapens the whole experience. And he might not trust anyone else to "do it right".

And most people would rather spend pennies on the dollar by buying some one else's nearly-complete project, and then finishing it themselves.

It's a much better business case to sell/install rims, spoilers and exhaust-tips.